Subject Author Posted Replies

Prostate Examination
Anyone know if doctors can DIY their own prostate exam? Obviously if they can, the rest of us can learn to do it for ourselves and save the yearly appointment (we're all busy people after all). This...
35
35

THORN M44 / 54B Boiler for Spares / Repairs or Re Commission?
As per title really. Bought our 1920's semi back in 2011, and she had this boiler installed. Its took a lot of thought and consideration to replace, as its never put a foot wrong in all the time we've...
1
1

Boiler ignition problems
I have a Sime Friendly Format 80E combi boiler in a house I rent out. For about a year it's been having an occasional problem of cutting out, and requiring to be manually reignited. An engineer has...
11
11

Here's more from Varoufakis
Former Greek Finance minister Yanis Varoufakis on his experience on dealing with the EU... When Schauble welcomed me with his "it is my mandate against yours" doctrine, he was honouring a long EU...
3
3

Fly Paper substitute
Thinking about whatever it is that pubs use to clean their tables. It seems suitably sticky. Is it necessary to pre-coat the surface with varnish to get the best effect?
5
5

ebait
what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....
30
30

Tiling troubles with large tiles
Hi All, We are tiling our bathroom with 500mm x 300mm tiles. After a lot of Google / YouTube effort it seems that the consensus was to use a float with 10mm s quare "teeth" and put the adhesive on...
10
10

I'm off
You wont hear anything from me for a couple of weeks as I'm off to Kyrgyzstan for a wee trip. Like all good travellers I've been reading up on the customs so as not to accidentally offend anyone. I...
17
17

Burglar alarms
Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not requiring a maintenance agreement? Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome! I feel competent to do an annual...
66
66

Antiference six element FM aerial free
Antiference six element FM aerial. It was on my roof for a few years but now I've taken it down. Condition is perfect. Anyone got a use for it? Buyer collects. It comes into two halves easily for...
6
6

Speed cameras "under test"
Saw some average cameras (new ones I think, the actual camera was smaller than I'd seen before). But they all had a big yellow temporary sign propped against the post saying "cameras under test". Why...
5
5

OT the telephone network
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes? Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things?...
19
19

What word would you use?
Snicket was the most common, although both ginnel and gennal were both often used when I was a kid. Any other names out there? Tenfoot is Hull dialect for what others call alleyways, ginnels, snickets...
13
13

Painting concrete window sills, surrounds, and roughcast walls in wet windy area
Hello, I need to paint the concrete window sills and the window surrounds on my roughcast kit bungalow near the Atlantic coast of the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. They're painted at the moment but...
5
5

Cat proof fence?
Electric. See your local agricultural suppliers.
15
15