What word would you use?

Snicket was the most common, although both ginnel and gennal were both often used when I was a kid.

Any other names out there?

Reply to
ARW

Jitty ?

Reply to
Ash Burton

My stepmother who lived much of her life in Somerset, called these drangways which I think is a local word. She also used dimpsey for what I know as dusk.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Back entry. I'm not being suggestive.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Both used here. A snicket is more open than a ginnel. Think passageway/alley between houses with gardens as opposed to one between buildings.

footpath, drive, alley, passageway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ope or opeway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A vennel or a pend - depending on whether it's open to the sky or a tunnel through the buildings.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ginnel where I grew up (Lancs, '70s). Snickelway in York. There is a book on the Snickelways of York.

IIRC Wikipedia has a page on all the different names, as you will have spotted there are many regional alternatives.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

In my part of the world (Sussex) it was a twitten.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Loke

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Long Eaton and eastwards: twitchell Derby (8 miles to the west) - jitty. And we'd never even heard of "twitchell".

Reply to
Kevin

Snicket and ginnel in Huddersfield.

Reply to