ebait

what do you think of the new ebay sellers users agreement? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I thought it was a bit off, and unenforceable. You have to supply contact details to complete a sale, and they seem to be suggesting you cannot subsequently use those contact details...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That's good - it will stop the daily spam from some Ebay sellers :)

When I read the conditions my first thought was how is Ebay going to know you are not buying/selling through their web site unless you are stupid enough to use the Ebay contact service. Many Ebay sellers are also on the Amazon marketplace and possibly a few other web selling sites and have email addresses not connected with Ebay.

Reply to
alan_m

I received in VERY good time an item which I bought from Ebay. Free postage. It was sent from Amazon Prime and delivered by a bloke with limited English in a very small van. I don't use Amazon. I questioned the seller about this as his business address is not too far away. He told me that he uses the same warehouse as Amazon .................. I'm not a experienced Ebay buyer.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If you buy from the Amazon market place (not Amazon but a third party retailer) sometimes these retailers have their stock at Amazon warehouses and the order is fulfilled by Amazon. I assume that the third party retailer pays Amazon extra for this service. If this retailer also advertises on Ebay, as many do, then it seems sensible to use whichever delivery service is most convenient. I think most(all) Amazon deliveries come with branded parcel tape advertising Amazon Prime. Amazon sometimes delivers the next day even though you haven't signed up to Prime.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think prevention of trade elsewhere is legal. Whether they can charge for trading offsite I'm not so clear.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think they are trying to prevent trade elsewhere, only completion of a trade that was started inside ebay, or the contact between buyer and seller was initially brokered through ebay.

If having completed a trade through ebay, you gain the sellers contact details and later approach them about a different trade without reference to ebay, then there is nothing they can do about it, since the seller will not have agreed to give ebay any exclusivity for all sales.

Reply to
John Rumm

AIUI if you buy externally from a seller you met in ebay, ebay claim they can charge you commission & much more for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I still read that as only applicable to a contact made initially through ebay. Say you start to buy a widget, and it falls through, but then later by an identical widget from the seller directly - then I can see their point, although they will have a hard time identifying it.

However if you make a trade with a seller though ebay, and that is all done and dusted - the seller got paid, ebay got their commission, and you got your product, then later you buy something from amazon market place, and it turns out to be the same seller, ebay are going to be on very sketchy ground claiming they are owed commission on that sale.

Reply to
John Rumm

Then we agree on interpretation. I don't agree that it's legal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've had a few Ebay sellers offer a discount voucher for future orders if done through their own web sites. I cannot see that if I choose to bypass Ebay for a completely different transaction that Ebay have any say in what I or the seller can do. Ebay are not just threatening to change sellers commissions etc, but also to stop buyers using Ebay.

Perhaps Ebay should first get their own house in order and remove all the Far East sellers who claim to be in the UK and a offer 1 to 3 day delivery but the goods actually arrive on a slow boat from China weeks later.

Reply to
alan_m

and they appear on gumtree ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

charging for "introduction" of buyer to seller....basicly you have agreed to let them take money from your accounts whenever they want ......try arguing with them ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

well after I sell the things I have on at the moment I will be closing my selling account.....as I have said for the last few years ebay is great for buyers but crap for sellers..........give me the old days around 2004 when I didn't take paypal and cheque only ....and the buyer couldn't scam you ..........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

After buying from Ledlam via Ebay, I had an e-mail to confirm the order and an offer of 10% discount for buying direct from Ledlam. Another interest was for curtains. Found something suitable, looked at the seller's site and realised that it was in my home town. Popped into the shop, placed an order and then collected it a few days later - beats waiting in for it. This was before the latest T&Cs, though, but in the latter example I'd noy contacted the seller. I suppose it'll get to the stage of Ebay getting stroppy if you've looked at an item and then go to a local shop for it - they know where you are!

Reply to
PeterC

what for?

Reply to
tabbypurr

My problem wherever you buy these days is the lack of English of the delivery people who stand at your door just silently. They are apparently gestulating toward a parcel and a little box they want you to sign on. No help to a blind bloke. You would think they had never actually encountered one before. Blimey. I now normally say when I open the door tell me what you want me to do as I'm blind. Usually if its really for me a garbeled version of my name comes over. If its a little box to sign on I normally try to touch it at which point they go no touch just sign. I shrug and say I'm blind yet again and normally they just thrust the parcel at me or more often dump it on the path and push off muttering something in a foreign tongue!. I used to think they were just ignorant bar stewards, but I now know they have an impossible number of parcels to get through and the last thing they want is an idiot who has the audacity not to be able to see! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's how I read it. So, recently, I bought a car part from ebay, completed the sale through ebay, but the chap said that if there was anything else I wanted from the same car he was breaking, we could deal outside of ebay- this new agreemant, to me, suggests he could ghet penalised for that?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It means more sellers leaving ebay. I've said for a while someone needs to set up an alternative to ebay but do it better. Why no-one has yet I don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A friend used san 'online site' to get a locksmith, who aplogised and said "next time phone me dierct and its 20% cheaper".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher