Burglar alarms

Has anyone come across a company installing burglar alarms but not requiring a maintenance agreement?
Printer ink, electric toothbrush head.... marketing syndrome!
I feel competent to do an annual walk test and routine battery change but doubt my ability to organise the initial set up.
So far, I have arranged multicore cabling to likely detector points and door button sets but stalled on finding someone to supply the kit and get it going.
--
Tim Lamb

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 09:14:18 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ignore the 'big name' companies and try the smaller (registered) ones. There are a couple that I've used locally (but too far from your location) who have been happy to install/service/whatever without having an annual contract.
They may not be too happy that you have put the runs in but as long as they can proper installation tests afterwards they shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I'm assuming that you *don't* want a monitored system and that it is *not* an insurance requirement.

Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company wanted an a pro installed system with an annual service. I already had a self installed system. The compnay I picked was quite happy to use my cable runs - and the locations of the the PIRs was thought to be ideal.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

OK Chaps. That is reassuring. I'll scratch around locally.

--
Tim Lamb

<snip> >Having had a piece of heirloom jewelery revalued, my insurance company

On that ... do many 'pro' systems use wires for the PIRs etc or are they all not wireless etc?
I ask because I'm assuming might be less ... umm ... 'defeatable' than running them on some real copper (plus centralised power etc).
Cheers, T i m
p.s. If you have such valuables and assuming they aren't worn / used regularly, I wonder how the cost of a safety deposit box compares with a monitored alarm (if it's primarily being fitted for that reason etc)?

I'm pretty sure pro systems use cables. Certainly the alarm panel has inputs for plenty of cables. We have one RF sensor "on the front door). It's the only one which has given trouble - when I was away from home - as it happened. Having a service contract helped SWMBO.
I fitted the alarm after being burgled once. VCR taken and various locked things got damaged. Advice from scene of crime officer: "Burglar alarms alarm burglars".
Safety deposit boxes may have their uses, but what happens when you take the item out of the box. Particular item was for daughter2 to wear at her wedding. 3 days out of the box staying in an hotel.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:51:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

First you have to find a safety deposit box. Not easy these days.

"You and Yours" was talking about this a few weeks ago. Most banks have closed their safe holding facilities, and those that haven't seem to have lost most of what people stored with them.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 48th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:05:32 +0000, Huge wrote:

That was what I meant. Plenty of self storage places, but not for valuables.
Incidentally, scrotes got away with a load of stuff from two of our sheds Thursday night. They had to destroy the doors to get in to them. They managed to get the double back gates open by shinning over, lifting the drop bolts and charging at the middle. There was just enough slack to defeat the two locked cross bolts. My wife kept camping equipment in there - £1500 worth!
On 24/09/2017 16:10, Bob Eager wrote:

Bastards.
On the plus side last week I noticed someone with a torch in a neighbours back garden at 2am. I called the neighbours and said "Let the dog out for a wee". Staffies are very loyal and can give a good bite.
Turned out the dog has already been barking but they put it down to the wind blowing over the plastic recycle bins.
It's just a pity that Staffies cannot run a bit faster, all it got was a shoe:-)
--
Adam

[25 lines snipped]

Although, how often do storage lockers get broken into?

Damn. Sorry to hear it. I really must improve the security on our barn.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 49th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 09:29:11 +0000, Huge wrote:

We have double gates at the side of the house (open into a side street). Not sure if they came in that way (easier via neighbours on the other side). They lifted both drop bolts, and defeated the two cross bolts (locked) by pushing both gates open at once. Can fix that by installing 450mm bolts that cross both gates; they would make too much noise defeating those.
Sheds were broken into by destroying doors. Wireless alarms going on those.
Floodlight wiring is there but I never got a tuit before. They are going in now.

Ah, sorry to hear that Bob. I know how it feels, we were done over a couple of years ago.
--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of
On 24/09/17 11:55, Bob Eager wrote:

Metrobank.

First you have to find a Metrobank.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 48th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:57:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

And for anyone north of Milton Keynes, not easy these days.
Owain

All I know is that my son's monitored system resulted in my getting calls at 3am (his mobile phone, wherever in the world he was, was always set to silent and so didn't wake him) until he got the company to change settings so it required 2 triggers.
Now, after alterations to the house, I always have to reset one false alarm from one wireless sensor whenever I have been in to check his house in his absence.
It is usually a lost signal alarm. He has had the company back to install repeaters but that doesn't seem to have helped.
He has now installed a wife to remove the problem.
--
Bill

On 24/09/2017 12:00, Bill wrote:

I'm sure replacing the wireless with a wire would have been cheaper.
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:23:05 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

You have to take the long-term view.
There's all the washing, ironing, etc he now gets free.
Owain

And the divorce that sees him lose the house and half the assets.