House insurance and burglar alarms

Hope someone can help..... We have a Friedland SA5 6 zone wireless alarm system that I installed approx five years ago, and have maintained since. This unit is very similar to Yale wireless alarms so one or othe is probably a rebadged version. Anyway we've recently changed house building & contents insurer. Our new insurer is insisting that there is a maintenance contract in place. I've been phoning round & consistently failing to find a company who will take on a diy installed system.
Are there security companies out there who will maintain diy installed alarms? or will I have to give up & get an equivalent approved system installed at vast unnecessary expense. Location is Ealing, West London.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:08:11 +0000, Toby Sleigh wrote:

IME any discount gained by having a burglar alarm is minimal. Best say you haven't got one. Especially since if you have got one, but had a break in when it was off (e.g. you were at home) they may not pay up.
On Friday, 15 February 2013 15:13:26 UTC, Jethro_uk wrote:

I've often wondered whether there was any correlation between having / not having an alarm and being burgled. Certainly isn't something I'd ever both er to have fitted, unless there was a very compelling financial case which saved me more than enough money on the fitting cost compared to the discoun ts on the insurance (which I doubt is an equation which works in practice).
Much as I'd hate to imagine either arriving home with the possessions gone, or waking up in the night with an intruder around, I still consider it suf ficiently unlikely to occur that its not worth spending £500-£1000 on ( in addition to insurance!!)
Matt
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:03:02 -0800, larkim wrote:

Simple question: when was the last time *you* did anything about a burglar alarm ?
The muppets across the road from me managed to forget to turn their alarm off a couple of years ago, on Saturday evening. They got home, tripped it, and spent the next 2 hours completely unaware it was sounding. I only went over because after the 2 hours, when no-one else had done anything, I looked out the window and saw people moving about, with their car on the drive and them moving about inside. When they answered the door, they started by insisting it was their neighbours alarm ....

To be honest the loss of stuff would be upsetting, but it's more the damage that burglars can do that would hurt.
I once heard a policeman giving tips, and a punter was pressing him with all sorts of increasingly unlikely scenarios. Eventually he just said "that's what insurance is for."

Havimg been burgled more than oncve - the first time we lost a video recorder, we have an alarm. As advised by the police "The alarm is to alarm burglars" we have an internal sounder - very loud. My insurance company insist on it.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

At the rear of my house, I have a sufficient number to sound bombs (sixteen quads) to make anyone just want to be somewhere else
--
geoff

writes

Sweet :-)
You can never have enough sound bombs, they even manage to drown out my tinatus!
Seriously making the burglar feel uncomfortable, by what ever method, does seem the best way to go.
And no, I have not told my insurance company that I have an alarm fitted, for the reason given earlier, if I don't admit to having one, they can't hold it against me if for some reason it isn't set when a break in occurs.

--
Bill

Exactly
--
geoff

Or automatic lighting. With an inside buzzer linked in.
In message

Automatic lighting with a buzzer?
The light illuminates their way, the buzzer tells them nobody is home
Have you EVER heard half a dozen sound bombs go off close to you?
The sound gets inside your head, it's unpleasant, you just don't want to be there, it's not a comfortable place to be for the "recreational" burglar
You go somewhere else to get your kicks
--
geoff

Not clear how viable that is at the front tho, you'd likely get some kids revving you up deliberately.
One of my neighbours across the park/walkway that's the same size as a normal house block has a flat at the back of the house with a door onto the park/walkway.
Plenty of the kids thought it was a great idea to press the bell and run off.

Best to find a really good hidey hole for valuable stuff.
In article

Only time I was successfully burgled was many years ago. (a couple of attempts since then but they didn't get in) And all that was taken was the VCR. Hardly the sort of thing you could lock up securely when you went out.
In some ways it might be better to leave a reasonable sum of money easily found. (not on view, obviously) Rather than have the thief do lots of damage looking for valuables. Most burglaries in cities are simply junkies looking for enough money for a fix - as soon as they get that or goods which they can sell, they're off.
--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Likely they would keep coming back every time they need more drugs tho.

But most of us arent actually stupid enough to keep much of that at home. What we do keep there is our toys that arent practical to put into some hidey hole all the time.

n.

t having an alarm and being burgled.  Certainly isn't something I'd ever bother to have fitted, unless there was a very compelling financial case wh ich saved me more than enough money on the fitting cost compared to the dis counts on the insurance (which I doubt is an equation which works in practi ce).

e, or waking up in the night with an intruder around, I still consider it s ufficiently unlikely to occur that its not worth spending £500-£1000 on (in addition to insurance!!)

Just put up a fake alarm enclosure/fake TV camera. You can get them quite cheap with a few LEDS powered by a mini solar panel.
On 15/02/2013 16:51, harry wrote: ...

But don't expect any serious thief to be fooled by them. When ADT took over another company, there was a spate of thefts from properties that had not had the enclosure updated. The thieves kept abreast of all the latest developments and they knew that anybody with the older enclosure was not on a contract and would not be remotely monitored. They were not worried about a simple alarm, knowing that they usually get ignored.
Colin Bignell

But how many of them are serious thieves with domestic houses ?
Most of the are druggys paying for their drug habits.

That's not a common situation tho, the company takeover allowing that.
On 15/02/2013 22:15, Rod Speed wrote:

Possibly true in urban areas, but in rural and semi-rural areas the main risk is from professional thieves, who are prepared to travel great distances to find rich pickings.

That is simply an illustration of how well clued up professional thieves are. It will apply equally well to fitting fake alarms.
Colin Bignell

Professional thieves ain't going to travel great distances on spec. More likely target a place they know contains valuables.
The vast majority of burglaries are on spec.
--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.