Wirefree house alarms

I think it's about time I fitted some sort of alarm system to the house (looking at wirefree). We used to rely on the dogs, but they now come on holidays and everywhere else with us :-) I know alarms won't stop the determined thief but it would make SWMBO much happier and wondered if anyone has any tips/recommendations.

I know absolutely nothing about house alarms but had a look in B&Q today and was quite impressed with what they had on offer.

Any ideas folks ?

TIA.

Reply to
Troy

Don't know theirs but the Maplin system we have has worked fine for years. It gives a beep when a battery is low and you then have to try each remote to find out which one it is but that's the only complaint and I expect most are like that.

Reply to
G&M

What do they do?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are wireless remotes all over the house with PIRs, window switches and other sensors attached. All of these use PP3 batteries which of course die at different rates.

Reply to
G&M

Sorry, I meant what do the alarms do? How are they activated, do they make a noise, how can they be stopped - I know nothing about alarms.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Activation is by remote sensors, PIR (body heat), window vibration, window opening and so on. These connect back to the main unit by wireless links which can be set to ignore a first trigger if you wish but then sounds both an internal sounder and drives an external bell box. Turning the system off is by a simple key-ring like with most car alarms.

Reply to
G&M

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:18:24 +0100, "G&M" strung together this:

That's why you're meant to replace the batteries every 12 months whether they need it or not. Of course, you can do it your way if you're so inclined!

Reply to
Lurch

I use several Yale wireless alarm systems (house/office/workskshop etc). Easy to set up and install. Also connect to a 'phone line to ring up to 6 numbers in the event of a trigger. Haven't had a false alarm in 3 years, says he touching wood. The range of accessories is good. The only downside in my opinion is that the external bell box is battery powered. The battery box can be extended to a remote location which helps a bit. I check all batteries every 3 months and replace all annually. Don't go for a solar powered external bell box (different manufacturer), absolute waste of time Have a look at

'm not associated with them in any way, just like the product.

hth

Sunbeam & Baloo the Newfoundland

Reply to
Sunbeam

You are truly lucky! The general idea of an alarm is that it will detect any intrusion into the protected area, or attempt of an intrusion. Commonly alarm systems are either wired or wireless. Systems can be as simple or as complex as you wish. Switching on/off can be by key, keypad or a gadget on your keyring. Sensors are placed within the area to be protected. When triggered these will set off the alarm. Sensors come in various types including PIR for space protection, door/window sensors which are generally magnetic contact switches, and vibratory switches which detect the smashing of glass, panic buttons in case of attack etc. Also some smoke/fire alarms can be connected into the alarm system. There are no doubt many other options available of which I am not aware. HTH

Sunbeam

Reply to
Sunbeam

Wireless sounds great doesn't it but do yourself a big favour and avoid them like the plague, especially the cheap ones from the likes of Maplin & B&Q. Go for wired - less false alarms, no batteries to worry about, no sleep windows and more reliable in every way.

Put it this way.... proper (and I mean "proper") alarm companies don't use wireless and if the systems were up to the job they certainly would do.

Reply to
PJ

I've also fitted 2 Yale systems at two different houses, not a single false alarm yet on either install, been fitted 3 and 2 years. On mine I've added a smoke sensor, and door sensor on the garage at the end of the garden. Battery life seems excellent, all still on original set of batteries after 2 years, just the sensor on the front door is now complaining - I really must change them! Front door is the most operated sensor so hardly surprising.

I see no need to go to the extra hassle of a wired system for home use, as it's a real pain hiding loads of cables, and would take far longer to install.

Alan.

Alan

Why?

Thanks to both posters for the explanations. I now know more :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But always at 2am !

Reply to
Alan Campbell

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:57:59 +0100, Troy strung together this:

If you just want an alarm that might go off at some random intervals, whether anyones breaking in or not then the wireless systems from diy stores are fine. If you want a professional system that works reliably then go for a wired if you can. If you're still convinced you want a wireless system then avoid the ones in B&Q and go for a Scantronic or Logisty. I only suggest these two as they are the only two wireless systems I have ever had to deal with, although the Scantronic was a nightmare but I don't think that was common across all their products, but it didn't help to remove that stigma attached to wireless systems.

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:49:17 GMT, "nick smith" strung together this:

Lightning strikes tend to affect anything, wired, wireless, or other. Some wireless systems will work fine, but on the whole Response have always been the diy wireless option and as such are nowhere near as reliable as a professional wireless system.

Installed away from mains, yes. A properly installed wired system is less susceptible to false alarms than a properly installed wireless, although any system installed badly is susceptible to false alarms. I personally prefer to fit wired alarms but as a last resort I will fit a wireless, they can work well if fitted properly.

quick and

But cynical that, you can make more profit from wireless as its quicker to fit but most contractors will charge about the same as the customer is more than happy with the end result as there is no mess made other than the drilling of fixings for equipment. Wired or wireless systems still need regular servicing so that doesnt affect long term profit either. If you want a laugh have a look in uk.tech.electronic-security, theres a mad Norweigan who bought a crappy wireless alarm and hasnt stopped continuously spamming the group, (consequently ruining it)

On another point, adjust your line length to 80 characters.

Reply to
Lurch

So why are yu still in Britain?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Both my father and I have had a Response wireless system for some 7 years and whilst changing batteries every 6 to 9 months is a (small) pain, the install was quick and easy and the reliability has been just fine - the only false alarm I have had was when a near neighbour's house took a direct lightning hit and our alarm went off, as did several others nearby - presumably wired systems - or would all these be wireless as well?

I would have thought that having up to 50 metre lengths of wire leading in to a box of electronics was MORE susceptible to picking up high voltage transients, with the wires acting as aerials to receive such signals. Maybe they are all shielded / screened cables installed away from mains and telephone cables.

I wonder if professional installers don't like wireless systems because they are quick and easy to install so can't sell as much of their labour and therefore make less profit ?

Don't forget this IS rip-off Britain........

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

No, it's because they are no good. They aren't recognised by the trade governing bodies. When they first became available some 20 years back all the prof installers tried them. They soon stopped! Many very large mainstream panel manufacturers have launched their own wireless systems over they years but all have withdrawn them. These days the only market for wireless systems is DIY and that's because they are quick and easy to install - that though is the one and only benefit.

Reply to
PJ

Well, that doesn't seem to be true. The British Security Industries Association certainly mentions/advertises wireless systems on its website - unless you don't count the BSIA as a trade association.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Fine - except PIR batteries in a bisy hallway don't last that long.

Reply to
G&M