OT Insurance and alarms

I've just received an email saying that unless I cancel the renewal my house and contents insurance will be automatically renewed The renewal quote has a 20% price hike from last year and comparable on-line quotes from many insurers are at least 25% lower or up to 40% lower if I decide to take more of the risk and have a voluntary excess of £200+ (to which is added the compulsory excess).

I did note that the question about alarms has changed from previous years. Do you have an alarm? It must be set at each night and when leaving the property.

Do people actually set an alarm at night whilst still in a house, especially as many these days just have movement detectors rather than wired window and door switches?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, our is set, but downstairs only.

Reply to
charles

Not answering the question but ... my broker has always advised saying "no" to any alarm question (even though we have one) because if you forget to set it when there's a claim the insurers have a way to deny liability. Having tested quotes with both "yes" and "no" answers it seems to make very little difference. I was once given the same advice about the "secure locks" question but haven't tested it.

Reply to
nothanks

I have an alarm where I could set a zone at night which would just be for the external doors. We don't do this. The insurance policy does not require me to have an alarm. If it did it would likely specify that the alarm would have to be professionally installed and maintained.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have an alarm that I installed myself and always answer no to the alarm question because previously I too found no difference in the quote price.

I found this year some companies questioned which type of alarm, professionally installed with maintenance contract, professionally installed basic alarm, self installed etc.

I also say no to the question about all windows having a lock (WITH KEY) implying that they should always be fully locked with the key.

Reply to
alan_m

After we had a break in, the police scene-of-crime-officer advised fitting an alarm on the basis that "Burglar Alarms alarm burglars". The break-in was heard by our next door neighbour (Secretary of the local Neighbourhood Watch) and assumed that splintering wood and breaking glass was me cutting down a tree, even though it was a midweek afternoon when I would be at work.

Reply to
charles

I'd not expect that. I am a sleep walker that would not be a good idea.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I've also had some snail mail offering 3 years insurance without a price increase during that time (assuming no changes to the cover) -- guess what?

It appears that this offer is only valid on policies that include all the "extras" so if you don't want to insure for replacement keys, bicycle cover, appliance breakdown cover etc. etc. its going to be more expensive to start with. However when adding in these extras from other insurers and then comparing the one off yearly price from them with the guaranteed 3 year price it seems that the 20% yearly price hike is already built in to the deal. I'm sure that some will fall for a fixed 3 year price without realising that the price increase is in year 1.

Reply to
alan_m