Cancel Guarduan Subscription

I decided to give the Guardian digital sub a go. Sign up. Give credit card details. First fortnight free. BUT after a few days I decided it was not for me so wanted to cancel before the fortnight free ended. Big problem. In reply to my request I get an email telling me I have to phone them. After 2 x 15 mins on hold I've given up. HTC do i cancel this ?

Reply to
fred

Phone your credit card company and put a stop on the debit. Or simply get them to issue a new card.

Meanwhile report it to the police as a case of potential fraud.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

tim

Reply to
tim...

It is. A case of potential fraud.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...but the police won't do anything as it's a big company doing it.

Reply to
Max Demian

report it to Rip Off Britain, and if they use you on a program it will all go through immediately.

Reply to
Andrew

Well I'm sure they have to have an on line way of doing it or they will get into a big heap of trouble with the regulators.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup. And complain your pizza came with mushrooms too at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know what the current position is but when I used to subscribe to sky, you could upgrade (ie give them more money) by an online process but to downgrade/cancell you had to talk to someone.

Reply to
Chris B

The cops won't see it like that.

Reply to
John Angus

Email them and tell them you're a deaf mute?

Reply to
Richard

Isn't the problem with a credit card that it requires the recipient to cancel the ongoing payment?

With a debit card you can cancel the payment.

Reply to
alan_m

With a credit card simplky report it lost or stolen and get a new one.

They will block any payments from the old one.

Once they have, lose it properly

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A new card? That's a crazy solution. Have you been drinking?

And how far do you expect that to get?

Reply to
Pamela

That's simply untrue. Payments will still be made from the account irrespective of the card.

That's bordering on fraudulent reporting.

Reply to
Pamela

Maybe you mean that with a direct debit they have to cancel the payments but with a standing order can cancel them.

The Direct Debit Guarantee provides a refund for money taken out an account incorrectly.

Reply to
Pamela

It is the one solution *guranteed* to ensure your card is NOT debited by people you dont want it to.

NOt fsr. buty its amazing what an off=the=record phone call will do. As when I reported Suffolk couinty council to the ASA and my lawyers to the law society.

In both cases action was swift although nm one ever admitted any connection.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. It used to be, but that's been fixed.

Ha ha ha. Bonk.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Yes. I once left a company and cancelled the company credit card completely. Almost a year later, I received a bill, as the AA had set up a recurring annual payment on it, despite being specifically told that I only wanted a one off - it was only done at all as I was stuck over 100 miles from home, in a company pool car, where the cover had lapsed. I had to get the AA to refund the money and cancel the recurring payment, as I was not able to do it myself.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I am not talking about cancelling the card account. I am talking about getting a new card, With a new number.

When I have recieved such all te old direct charge people emailed me to tell me my card no longer works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher