Smelly urinals

Just (2 months ago) started a new job and the Gents is very smelly.

Long story short, they swapped out the urinals for waterless urinals (were they a fad??). And then swapped back, but didn?t install the new wa ter ones properly (I suspect they didn?t install a trap(s).

You couldn?t make it up!

Reply to
cpvh

I'd have thought that traps were needed irrespective of whether they use water to flush them. There needs to be something to prevent the sewer gases venting out of the drain hole.

My experience with waterless urinals is that they smell more of stale urine that ordinary ones because it dries on the surface and doesn't get rinsed off with water every so often.

Reply to
NY

The problem with many high usage "public" toilets is a build up of uric salt crystals from urine which can cause the smell. In a pub I use the problem caused by this type of blocking mechanism was well down-line from the traps attached to the urinals. The smell/blockage problem now solved.

Reply to
alan_m

what removes them?

NT