Welding helmets

Hi all,

Been thinking it's about time I got one of those auto-darkening helmets. Just a bit concerned about that initial flash that's supposed to trigger the auto-darken feature. I can't see how it can be fast enough to eliminate exposure to that first bright flash. Anyone used one? Comments on their efficacy?

cheers.

Reply to
Chris

When, many years ago, I bought a cheap one I had the same concerns. Mine gets used infrequently but always works. Sooo much better than the dark glass helmets.

Reply to
nothanks

They just work. Mine's a very cheap one and still reacts so fast that the flash is unnoticeable.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They're excellent for incompetant amateur welders like me, you can actually see what you're doing as you wave the stick at the metal.

I'm sure they'd have been banned or come with all sorts of warnings if they don't darken quick enough.

Reply to
Chris Green

I imagine that the glass probably absorbs most of the UV, the LCD side of things probably just brings the light level down to manageable limits. I could be wrong of course.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you look and AvE's (Arduino vs Evil) videos on youtube, he did a few on LCD welding helmets, looking at the detection vs darkening times, transmission of IR/UV/visible light etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a fairly cheap one, and it seems fine. Note they protect you from the UV even when "clear" so you don't need to worry about that bit. Can't say have ever had the feeling of being "flashed" though one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't worry about it, even cheap ones are fine. And make life *so* much easier for the amateur. I guess they react in about a millisecond, which is 100 times faster than your blink reflex. Remember it is an energy, not a brightness, thing.

Reply to
newshound

I've used one, it was fine. Better than my welding :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Chris explained on 15/08/2018 :

I bought one around ten years ago and they make it so much easier. I always struggled to get the rod into place, then drop the helmet. Now I can see, to get the rod spot on. I've not noticed any delay in darkening, but my helmet has two setting pots which I have never bothered to experiment with.

Even supposing there is some delay, the slight exposure has to be an improvement on the accidental flash I would sometimes get whilst trying to align the rod to the job.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do not they actually have an inbuilt UV filter there all the time to prevent damage to the eye by non visible light? I'm thinking back to my old views of Tomorrows world here! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

they are and they do it fast enough, marvellous bit of kit.

Reply to
critcher

Here is a question, How soon after cataract surgery can I start using one again?(opp last monday)

Reply to
FMurtz