Welding helmets

Do auto darkening welding helmets start clear then darken depending on the ark intensity. TIA Mouse
Mouse wrote:

They start quite dark then go very dark to a preset level.
--
Grunff

the
but they start an awful lot lighter than an old style glass filter
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

Are they light enough to get a reasonable view of the area to be welded under normal light conditions. Most of my welding is fairly intricate, and I currently use a helmet that the lens lifts up on. Would an auto be of any advantage. TIA Mouse

on
absolutely, The view is fine under normal bright light, then darkens as you strike.
MrCheerful

depending
and
any
you
Many thanks for all replies Mouse

on
Same here, I tend to do small repairs inside folded sections etc (in poor light) With an AD helmet you can clearly see your starting point and I find I can see the puddle better when actually welding You can set the darkening level to suit yourself as the device filters UV even when not dark I waited till they were cheap before buying one which was a big mistake
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

depending
Just what I need Thanks Mouse
In case anyone hasn't found them
sci.eng.joining.welding and rec.crafts.metalworking
are 2 useful newsgroups
They're not badly priced these days BUT don't buy the cheapest. You can buy a top end one for around 130. The sub 100 ones (I've seen them as cheap as 59!) are not as good.
Also consider buying one which is solar powered. They take power from the arc which is a brilliant idea. The battery ones tend to use a lot of batteries in normal use.
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

My 69 one is quite functional, mechanically as good as my old ordinary one and is solar powered.
It's selling at 93 pounds now at http://www.cromwell.co.uk /, still not a bad price IMHO.

Yes! You can see virtually normally through the auto mask before it darkens. I got mine for 69 from Cromwell and I wouldn't be without it now.

Ok, I'm convinced. :-) Thanks for all the input. On my must have list. Mouse