Welding helmets

Do auto darkening welding helmets start clear then darken depending on the ark intensity. TIA Mouse

Reply to
Mouse

They start quite dark then go very dark to a preset level.

Reply to
Grunff

but they start an awful lot lighter than an old style glass filter

Reply to
Chris Oates

Are they light enough to get a reasonable view of the area to be welded under normal light conditions. Most of my welding is fairly intricate, and I currently use a helmet that the lens lifts up on. Would an auto be of any advantage. TIA Mouse

Reply to
Mouse

absolutely, The view is fine under normal bright light, then darkens as you strike.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Many thanks for all replies Mouse

Reply to
Mouse

Same here, I tend to do small repairs inside folded sections etc (in poor light) With an AD helmet you can clearly see your starting point and I find I can see the puddle better when actually welding You can set the darkening level to suit yourself as the device filters UV even when not dark I waited till they were cheap before buying one which was a big mistake

Reply to
Chris Oates

Just what I need Thanks Mouse

Reply to
Mouse

In case anyone hasn't found them

sci.eng.joining.welding and rec.crafts.metalworking

are 2 useful newsgroups

Reply to
Chris Oates

They're not badly priced these days BUT don't buy the cheapest. You can buy a top end one for around £130. The sub £100 ones (I've seen them as cheap as £59!) are not as good.

Also consider buying one which is solar powered. They take power from the arc which is a brilliant idea. The battery ones tend to use a lot of batteries in normal use.

Reply to
PJO

Yes! You can see virtually normally through the auto mask before it darkens. I got mine for £69 from Cromwell and I wouldn't be without it now.

Reply to
usenet

Ok, I'm convinced. :-) Thanks for all the input. On my must have list. Mouse

Reply to
Mouse

My £69 one is quite functional, mechanically as good as my old ordinary one and is solar powered.

It's selling at £93 pounds now at

still not a bad price IMHO.

Reply to
usenet