wood finish

I am building my retirement home at the lake and am using poplar tongue and grove to sheet the walls and cieling. The wood has very decorative grain so I would like to apply a non yellowing finish. everything I have tried has darkened the wood. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Arvid

I'd use a water based acrylic lacquer or polyurethane.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Reply to
Arvid

You probably have a problem.

There is a reason poplar is known by some as "paint wood".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:7M1ng.348$NP4.226 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have a few pieces of furniture made from poplar and have made shelves from poplar and it is quite nice. I stained and finished the wood and I think it looks good.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Anything will darken the wood...the water based products will darken it the least. You can markedly reduce the darkening by wiping on a very thin coat of white oil paint - about 50% paint, 50% thinner - and then wiping off all you can before applying the clear topcoat. The paint prevents penetration of the topcoat which is what causes the darkening. Poplar will darken/yellow all by itself over time.

Reply to
dadiOH

Need I say that if you use a water based top coat you'd have to let the oil paint dry first? Not so if an oil based topcoat is used. One can also use thinned water base paint first but it is much harder to apply and remove. Alternatively, one could use a clear acrylic sealer such as Seal-Krete to prevent topcoat absorption.

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
Arvid