Cancel Guarduan Subscription

You suggested that getting anew card issued would stop the incorrect payment:

"Or simply get them to issue a new card."

That will not work. Payments are made from the account irrespective of which cards have been issued.

Reply to
Pamela

I think the rules on this have changed several times over the years the current rules are here

and say

Stopping a card payment

The law says you can withdraw your consent and stop a future payment under a continuous payment authority at any time up to the end of business on the day before the payment is due.

To withdraw consent, simply tell whoever issued your card (the bank, building society or credit card company) that you don?t want the payment to be made. You can tell the card issuer by phone, email or letter.

Your card issuer has no right to insist that you ask the company taking the payment first. They have to stop the payments if you ask them to.

Reply to
Chris B

Personally if I could not get through on the phone, then I would email snipped-for-privacy@theguardian.com stating you have not been able to contact them by phone, and hence you are formally notifying them of your cancellation here. Ask them to phone you if they need to speak to you.

There is also now a provision to stop a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) by contacting the card or bank that the payment is being made by. (ISTR there was a ruling by the FCA a few years back that banks have to cancel a FCA if asked).

Note that stopping payment from the bank etc does not necessarily cancel any contract between you and the service provider - so if under the terms of the contract you agreed to you are still liable for fees, they can still insist on payment even if the CPA is cancelled.

Since the contract is between a business and a consumer, the terms of that contract must be "fair" however - so making it unreasonably difficult to cancel the contract would likely be deemed unfair, and hence that bit of it would be unenforceable in UK law.

Reply to
John Rumm

No you can also cancel a DD from your end.

Indeed it does.

Reply to
bert

Reply to
Michael Chare

I wonder if anyone else has found this but my motor insurers are going ahead with auto renewal and I have never signed any continuous payment authority.

Reply to
bert

Whats the problem, is it a manual?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Then tell them you don't want to renew. Simples. Or are you just finding something to whinge about again?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if you made the original purchase by phone you need to have signed nothing

tim

Reply to
tim...

I think you?ll find in the small print somewhere that unless you explicitly say that you *don?t* want auto-renewal, it?ll happen.

It certainly does with Direct Line. I was told by an operator though that if you pay by American Express, they won?t auto-renew.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you purchased on-line there was probably a tick box that you had to tick to disable auto-renew or visa-versa. When buying over the phone they will often say that they will auto renew but you have the option at any time of cancelling the automatic renewal.

The wording on a renewal quote usually says that they will auto-renew unless you tell them otherwise. This is often encompassed in a paragraph warning of the dire consequences of you not renewing with them and then being uninsured.

I've found in the past cancelling a automatic motor/house insurance renew has been a few minute phone call.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd say that makes sense to most. To avoid letting it lapse by mistake. If you intend changing insurance companies, you tell the old one, and they won't auto renew.

But doesn't stop conspiracy theories from the likes of bert.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Why should I have to ring them to tell them not to do something with my money which I have never authorised them to do in the first place? Mind if I help myself to some of yours?

Reply to
bert

In article , tim... writes

Didn't. I was just interested to see if others had experienced this or if this was a one off.

Reply to
bert

Did you actually read all the conditions before paying for that insurance? And is this the first insurance you've ever bought? This sort of continuing payment has been the norm for years - in your favour, to prevent you forgetting to renew. And leaving yourself open to prosecution if car insurance.

What service would you be providing to me? But then I doubt you can see the difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's been the norm for many insurance companies for years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That might be all right if they were forbidden from increasing their premiums without explicit authorisation. DD is just a way companies are allowed to help themselves to your money whenever they feel like it.

Reply to
Max Demian

Dunno what insurance companies you use, but all the ones I have, ie many, send details of the renewal before it is due.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

as does mine.

Reply to
charles

Quite. And at least some now include what was last year's premium. To save you having to look it up. And then decide whether to carry on with the same company or look for a better deal.

The likes of bert just seems to love making a fuss over nothing. He'll be back to bent bananas shortly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)