I've just bought

a brand new Delta DJ20 X5 Jointer, This is to replace my GeneralInternational 6"...

is there anything I should be aware before installing it?

TIA

Reply to
Mike

Get a strong friend to help place the jointer on the base and don't drop it on your toes! A roll of paper towels will help remove the coating.

Reply to
Phisherman

My non-X5 DJ20 went together well. Unless you own an engine lift or fork lift, get plenty of help to place the bed on the stand. We did it with two big, strong guys and it was a struggle.

Other than a missing pulley, belt, belt shroud and push blocks, I can't remember any real gotchas during assembly. Mine was dead flat and coplanar out of the box, the only adjustments needed involved the fence tilt stop pins.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

well, this is not what I call good news :-(

well we will be 2 small and obviously, not so strong guy...I guess I will need somebody else :-(

Reply to
Mike

hey Mike: Congratulations!!! A DJ 20 8" Jointer.....nothing says I love you like cast iron....Is this your birthday or what? Did you buy the mobile base?

Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
aswr

It's very heavy! Enjoy your new tool!

Reply to
Rich

At least it's an obvious and easily solved problem.

The two of us (6'1" - 230 & 6'6" 250-260) were able to lift the top. The complications arise when lining up the bolt holes. More muscle = more control. You don't want to be sliding things around, as the paint on the top of the cabinet will get scratched. Lining things up was not easy for us, 4 guys would have worked well.

If you're using a mobile base, try to have it ready before you assemble things, otherwise you'll have to lift the top, base AND the motor. Mine's not mobile, so I forgot to mention this in my other message.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks

It is part of my birtday gift: to me from me :-) I already have a mobile base...I will take the router and sell it (I already have a Bosch combo kit and a PC7518)

Reply to
Mike

It's monstrously heavy. An engine hoist or a couple of large men to lift onto it's stand is recommended.

What I assembled mine, my son (15) and I lifted it. It was mistake to that, but that's water under the bridge now. Seriously, you can hurt yourself. Be careful.

Other than that, it's a w>a brand new Delta DJ20 X5 Jointer,

Reply to
George Max

Don't lick the knives.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

So Mr. Smartypants, how do YOU shave your tongue?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

this is good, never thought I shouldn't...I wonder if they warn the owner against it?

:-P

Reply to
Mike

SWMBO's Lady Bic. It's pink. My tongue is pink. Just makes sense to me.

Reply to
Silvan

I am a 180 -pound weakling, and I put mine together virtually alone. I rigged six big pulleys and nice, heavy rope as a lift. I hung (hanged?) that from one of the lam beams in my basement. While I hauled on the loose rope end, SWMBO used her dainty fingers to keep the thing from swinging around.

Lining up the top meant lowering the jointer to within 1/4-inch of the base cabinet, and locking off the rope. Got a couple of the bolts just started, then lowered the jointer the last 1/4-inch.

Yeah, well, my mobile base didn't arrive till *after* I had assembled the jointer. So back to the pulleys ...

But really, that setup worked great.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

oh! That must be why I'm always finding hair in my food?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

good idea to use pulleys....

Reply to
Mike

I'm not 180 and about average strength and I assembled mine alone. I basically used leverage and platforms to raise it up bit by bit till I got it to the proper height. Then I slid the base on it's wheels underneath and bolted it all together.

I don't recommend this, I did it because I'm stubburn and didn't want to wait for help to arrive. Do becarefull of your back, it is heavy. I cheated, SWMBO is a chiropractor, hahaha.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt