How to remove stripped screw? I've tried everything!

I have an old flush mount outdoor light. The bulb went out but i can not un screw the two screws to open the light. On further inspection, i noticed th at the screws are driven so tight that the area around the screws are bent inwards. I have tried heat, hammer tapping and screw extraction kit. Now i am left with 2 worn screw heads and a blown out light. I can't even break the glass and replace the whole fixture because the glass is encased in met al so there is no direct access to the glass. Any advice? I'm at my wits en d.

Reply to
mowuseni

Drill/grind the screws out and repair/replace the fixture

Always use stainless screws on things like this, to the point that you should swap them out on a brand new fixture before you install it. It amazes me that manufacturers go to this length to save a nickel a screw.

Reply to
gfretwell

unscrew the two screws to open the light. On further inspection, i noticed that the screws are driven so tight that the area around the screws are be nt inwards. I have tried heat, hammer tapping and screw extraction kit. Now i am left with 2 worn screw heads and a blown out light. I can't even bre ak the glass and replace the whole fixture because the glass is encased in metal so there is no direct access to the glass. Any advice? I'm at my wits end.

+1

Some of this doesn't even sound right. Screw extraction kit for screws on a light fixture? Either grind them off, or if there is any way to grab on to them. shear them off.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi,

+1, I'll just drill the out and ue bigger stainless screws. If you want want to demolish the whole fixture, that is always easy. Just smash it up.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi,

+1, if don't mind demolishing the fixture, it is easy. Just smash it up. Sawz-all with proper blade or big hammer will do it.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Harbor Freight makes left handed drills. I've never used one. But in theory, you can chuck one up, put drill in reverse, and go to town. Might catch and thread out what's left. Get it! What's left! I'm a comic, and don't even know it.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, drill them out

Get a good carbide bit

Reply to
philo

If you smash it, be sure the power is off.....

Why cant you just remove the screws that hold the whole fixture to the wall and remove tbe whole fixture?

I'm assuming you used WD40 or PB Blaster (*better) on the screws. Then grab em with a vice grips.

If all else fails, A small butane torch (pocket sized ones) might heat the screws enough to move them, but the glass dome could crack. Just heat the screws.... Not the glass.....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan