computer desk

not sure if this is the right group to ask about this.

I've been looking at some modular desk. wood finish would be cherry.

I'm not sure how this one will be set up. Looking at a J or C configuration depending on how one looks at it.

1st wall, 34" 2nd wall, 136" 3rd wall, 68"

I don't think they make one at 136", so, its 2 tables right there. Issue with me is the legs.

Yeah, its a big computer desk.

Reply to
firestorm31

So what's the question?

| I've been looking at some modular desk. wood finish would be cherry.

One thing to be aware of when you're buying things like desktops and tables:

Unless you're paying a lot for good furniture, "cherry" is taking poetic license. It's probably particle board with a vaguely cherry-ish veneer that could be printed, or even plastic laminate. (Some very expensive furniture is just junk particle board with plastic laminate made to show a fairly convincing wood grain.)

Particle board furniture can have a hidden cost, especially with desks and bookshelves: It has low shear strength (don't sit on it) and if it breaks or cracks there's nothing to fix because there was no real structure in the first place. I used to get a lot of calls from people with Scandinavian Design furniture and had to explain that their fashionable "teak" pieces were junk. Ikea is the new Scandinavian Design.

I was just at a job yesterday in a very "exclusive" condo development. The customer had cabinets from a well marketed company called Poggenpohl, with a store on the high fashion street in Boston. Someone had glued mirrors to the cabinet doors. There was nothing I could to to remove them and restore the doors. It's wood grain plastic laminate over junk particle board.

Reply to
Mayayana

My first computer was given to me by my wife when she got a better one. The computer desk was apiece of junk and fell apart when I moved it.

I just built my own exactly the way I wanted it to be. It turned out fine and believe my my carpentry skills are modest.

Reply to
philo

| My first computer was given to me by my wife when she got a better one. | The computer desk was apiece of junk and fell apart when I moved it. | | I just built my own exactly the way I wanted it to be. It turned out | fine and believe my my carpentry skills are modest. |

I did something similar. Birch plywood top with bookshelves above, painted. A couple of leftover bureau draws, reused, for backup CDs, office supplies, etc. And a birch plywood keyboard slide. The draws and slide are all done with simple, old-style wood tracks; no hardware. That was mainly to save money, but I don't really need hardware tracks. In fact, I prefer wood tracks for a keyboard slide because the drawslide hardware for them flexes with downward pressure and often doesn't lock very well in the open position. It feels chintzy.

Reply to
Mayayana

Yep , made mine from spare lumber and and old wooded table I had in the basement

Reply to
philo

Disclaimer: I'm not Martha Stewart but cheap hollowcore doors have always worked for me.

Reply to
rbowman

Mine is an old solid oak desk we got at the thrift store for cheap . I took the pieces between the drawer stack out and mounted a keyboard tray with a pair of drawer slides . Using cordless KB and mouse makes it much "cleaner" on the desk top . When we were in Memphis I had a couple that were just slabs of postform countertop mounted to the wall with a KB slide mounted underneath . Cutoff rips made shelves above for storage , printers , etc .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Lay 'em across a pair of cheap 2 drawer file cabinets and add a keyboard slide underneath and you're set .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ikea. They sell a variety of desk/table tops and the support parts (file cabinets, shelves, etc) separately, so you can mix or match to meet your needs.

*Don't* buy a massive all-in-one piece, and *don't* do the stupid configuration of tower on the floor, all wires/cables threaded up from the back. When you do that, Every. Single. Time that you have to disconnect/connect a component, two people have to drag the damned thing away from the wall and one has to crawl underneath to get at the cables.

I fix pcs on the side and I make housecalls. Having to wrestle the customer's furniture and crawl to get at the components/wiring is my major pet peeve.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I've done the hollow door, on top of filing cabinets

you get a very very large desk space with this setup

it's probably not suited for a small room

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Then there is the basic law of physics that a horizontal surface abhors a vacuum. Whenever I lose something I turn the pile over like a compost heap and usually find it. This doesn't apply if you're one of those OCD types that are into order.

Reply to
rbowman

well, umn.. you've put me in a conundrum. I do have a tower and was going to put it under the table. the wiring may or may not be an issue. depends on how its set up :D

I don't plan on buying a "massive all-in-one piece". that thought occurred to me, but I'd have trouble moving it to get to the back of the table.

the desk will be modular.

the trick is to find the right pieces to fit the requested length.

Reply to
firestorm31

ok thanx for letting me know about that.

I'm aware that its not real cherry.

I'll pass on Ikea.

I'm looking at bush office furniture.

Reply to
firestorm31

Wireless components clean up the usual rat's nest. Get rid of the mouse, keyboard, printer, and ethernet cable and you have the power and monitor cables. If you have a lot of USB devices a hub on the desktop is an option. Wireless speakers may or may not be worth the effort depending on your layout.

Reply to
rbowman

| well, umn.. you've put me in a conundrum. I do have a tower and was | going to put it under the table. the wiring may or may not be an issue. | depends on how its set up :D |

I wouldn't worry about that. I don't have anything wireless and I don't find it a problem. Once it's set up that's all out of the way. There's nothing wrong with wireless, but there's also no real advantage, unless wires just happen to be a pet peeve.

Wired peripherals are generally cheaper and more adaptable. (Older computers won't see a wireless keyboard or mouse at boot.)

I just bought a new trackball last week. Wired. Cheap. Good. It just sits there, so why should I care if it has a wire or not?

Reply to
Mayayana

Have the best of both worlds...put it under the table where it is out of the way but put it on a piece of plywood with casters in case you have need to move it into a more accessible position.

Reply to
dadiOH