Central air conditioning efficient for 110 year old house?

Our 110 year old house has no return air ducts on the 2nd or 3rd floor. The air return ducts are located on the outside of the house on the first floor and the heating ducts are on the inside walls in both the 1st and 2nd floors. I have a small wall heater in the wall of the 3rd floor.

An A/C rep said that without the air return ducts on the 2nd and 3rd floors, installing central air would not be efficient and would barely push the cool air to the top 2 floors. Is this right? He is the first one to mention this and we want to be sure the cool air will circulate throughout the house. I am even ok if we still need to have a small window A/C in the 3rd floor bedroom but want the second floor to be cool.

Reply to
Sherry Mahon

That is really interesting!  I have never heard about anything like this before.  I would think that having a new <a href="

">hvac</a> system put in would really help the second and third floor, but I could be totally wrong.  Do you love your home?  I don't think that I ever been in a home that old.

Reply to
MikeyBravo

Wow that is crazy! A 110 year old house! I didn't even know those are still around! I would recommend <a href="

">chicago hvac service</a>s to anyone though. No matter how old your home is I think that you can benefit from it and it really works best! Can you tell me where I can find more information like this?

Reply to
google-57969ac59b2c170ce41916c48b8e237f

Thanks for the information about <a href="

">hvac</a>. I need to go get one in Chicago.

Reply to
google-7c15f5705cf91499cc49e0ca0375cb33

I would definitely call a <a href="

">professional</a> for another opinion.

Reply to
Anonymous

Getting stuff like that figured out in an old house can be hard. I know that in my place it gets a lot warmer when you go upstairs. I'd put in an AC unit upstairs to offset that.

Nora Moore | <a href='

' >
</a>

Reply to
disqus_5B2E4xKpwE

Yea he is probably right about the air ducts. I'm kind of surprised that the house was built like that because older houses are usually built better. I guess they didn't have air conditioning in mind when they built it.

bobbyroosco

The air conditioning in my home isn't working. Since we live in a warmer climate, I still need to turn it on. It would be nice if I could hire a company to come and make the necessary repairs to make it work again.

wrestling12