poly disc paint removal discs

They are pretty brutal on anything softer than they are....

Reply to
Jimk

These came up in another thread , Never heard of them before but wondered how they would perform on fibre glass if used to clean bottom of fibre glass boat hull prior to anti fouling. Would they damage the gel coat ?

Reply to
fred

My first reaction is - yes. I'm pretty sure they will score the smooth surface quite badly and you probably don't want to do that on a fibreglass hull. However I'm not an expert, I have a steel hulled boat! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

They will leave a fine scratch pattern on the surface, but should not go right through the gel coat (although that will depend on how thick it is and how heavy handed you are).

If you look at:

That's mild steel, where the base is "natural", and the top section has been polished with a poly disk (straight on the bare metal - not though paint).

As you can see it leaves a fine surface scratch pattern, not unlike wet'n'dry. Fine for repainting, but not idea if you want to keep the gel coat shiny.

Reply to
John Rumm

"suitable for a wide range of materials... metal, concrete, stainless steel, aluminium"

I wouldn't try it.

(OTOH I don't know what sort of SS or Aluminium isn't metal.)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Using them, I got a nice and very smooth finish on the "sand grain" of a cast iron pan.

Bit harsh for a gel coat....

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer