tree removal

I have three pine trees about 40' tall that I want cut down. They are about 30' from my house and 15' from some wires. What is a reasonable estimate to have these cut down? Is removal included in the price? I live north of Boston.

Reply to
alb1753

: Variable. Grab the yellow pages & start calling some places for estimates. Ask them.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I had two Redwoods over 40' removed , one Plumb Tree removed, Stumps Ground ,Another redwood trimmed and Sprinkler pipe removed ( Extra no charge) about $1200. The trees were 8' from my house about 25' from neighbors. One thing to check for is Insurance including Workmen's Comp.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

There's no way anyone who isn't from your area can give you an accurate price. Pine trees have very little value as fire wood. Get a price each way, and then decide.

Reply to
Bob

In this part of the world, trees so near wires of either the phone company or the electricity utility are felled free by those companies. Tree surgeons who fell trees charge extra for "cleanup" = removal of the debris.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Nobody can say , I can call 4 tree companies and get qualified bids that vary by 50- 70%

Reply to
m Ransley

I live in Winchester, Taxachusetts and last summer needed four 50 foot box elder trees removed because they had grown to where they were shading our back lawn enough to make it near impossible to keep the grass looking good. One other large tree needed a couple of limbs removed to further open up the area.

Knowing nobody in the business and never needing tree work beyond my own abilities before, I went to the Massachusetts Arborist web site:

From their membership list I selected a guy named Derek Binding in Winchester. He did the job for about $1200 including chipping up everything and removing it so the place was "broom clean" when he left.

I can say that he handled himself like a true professional, showing up when he said he would and even laying down down sheets of 3/4" plywood so his bucket truck's tires wouldn't sink into the lawn. It was a pleasure to watch him steer that cherry picker bucket around and remove those trees from the top down while his two "schleppers" hauled what he tossed down to them over to the chipper.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I had a group of trees trimmed for $800 bucks. The sales guy was helpful and nice. The crew arrived on schedule but 5 guys rater than 6. I didnt care and offered to help drag branches and they said yes.

The in the tree guy was careless, and nearly killed himself and others:(

Dropped huge branches on house roof, knocked over and ruined pole light, then dropped a branch on a 15,000 volt line in front of home. always wondered what a high tension line would look like shorted, never want to see it again. knocked out power for 5 miles......

left carbon tracks on street. spark display and explosion was unreal, idiot neighbor drove around barricades and nearly drove over downed lines, and we werent sure if they were still live....

Reply to
hallerb

Alabama - paid $250 to have 3 30' Bradfords with the stumps ground out & all debris piled on teh curb for the city to remove - it was all gone in 2 days.

Reply to
Steve

What a nightmare. Watching professionals do the job is like watching an artist. It's pretty amazing. I think we paid a little over 200 for three

40 foot trees. He dropped the wood and I cut it up for firewood and cleaned up.
Reply to
Michael

A close second to this one maybe?

I never learned if that clip documents a test, a normal switch opening, or something gone wrong, but I'd sure like someone who knows about high voltage transmission systems to clue me in.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

check with your neighbors first. maybe they are tired of the trees and will split the cost with you. or sell them for christmas next year.

Reply to
buffalobill

Amazing mine was more a orange glow followed by a LOUD explosion! BIG FIREBALL, could feel the concussion of the explosion

Knocked out power for 5 miles, and caiused major cable tv troubles, as their head end was right across the street.

I was told later the tree companies insurance paid out over 15 grand...

5 power company trucks and crews for repairs and switching

15 cable trucks dispatched to run emergency generators at power failed amplifiers whos battery backups were only good for 30 minutes...

I could of easily died that day, the crew was short a guy and I had just offered to stand in the street directing traffic. the line dropped right where I would of been standing:(

Reply to
hallerb

you can hire a climber to just drop the tree. they climb up cutting off branches as they go, once at the top they log off the remaining trunk, it gets shorter as they work their way back down.

you can then dispose of the branches and firewood, cant burn pine in a fireplace but it makes good camp wood for campfires

this can save big bucks, ut is a lot of work.

Reply to
hallerb

================ I got an estimate a few weeks ago to remove a Maple tree (a good 40 foot tall with a trunk about 3 foot in diameter... Price was close to $2,000... I passed... ! only reason I want it down is to improve my view of the sky when using my telescope...

I think I better get on the phone and call a few more companies.. Located in Maryland...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks for the info, I live in Stoneham so I will give him a call

Reply to
alb1753

We contracted with a tree removal company to take down our very big maple tree that was so rotted in its trunk that it had become unsafe to house, garage, auto, and neighbor. $900, stump grinding $200 extra.

I used to wake up in the night waiting for the crashing noises and the branches poking into the bedroom. Fortunately they never came. That was last October, if memory serves.

The guy who runs the company warned us that it would be late November before he was going to get to it, because of a backlog in jobs that required his crane for removal.

November came and went, along with several modest windstorms. I cringed every time the wind blew, but the tree held. December brought snow, rain, wind, sleet, ice, and more cringing.

Right after New Year's, I called to find out what had become of them. Yes, I was still on the list (they said) but the crane had broken and was out of state being repaired. Could they come next Monday, when the crane would be back?

Monday came and went. No woodsmen. Tuesday or Wednesday I called. The crane was still disabled, still in another state, and they would have to let me know. Two weeks passed. Several modest windstorms passed. Driving rain came and went. Ice came and went.

Last week they called. They would show up on Tuesday.

And they did, sending a man up the tree, looping a nylon sling around various main branches, cutting the tree into about five huge tree-sized pieces, and lifting them with the crane, right from the cut, over the top of our three story house and then down to be chopped up and fed into the chipper in the front yard. Quite spectacular to watch what were essentially entire trees floating over your house, dangling from the crane cable. These guys were good.

Then the trunk was cut off with a three or four foot Stihl, laid gently onto the ground with the crane line, and then picked up by a long logging truck with a giant claw on the back and dropped into the bed of the truck. The trunk was bout three and a half feet in diameter and about 15 feet long. (While doing this, a hydraulic hose burst on this claw, shooting around 15 gallons of hydraulic fluid onto my driveway, but they cleaned it up nicely with sawdust, kitty litter, degreaser, and some water -- this in nearly freezing weather).

That very night the wind picked up, with nasty 50-60 mph gusts and driving rain. The wind continued all the next day, blowing everything that wasn't nailed down all over the state. Turned a truck over on the George Washington Bridge.

But all I had was a stump. Whew.

Reply to
Cue