landscape idea under Tall 50+ft Pine tree

I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow, freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai

Why? its natural and looks nice. Why try to grow grass where it naturally doesn't grow.

Why not build a rock garden in the area and add plants that would normally grow near pines?

Reply to
George

I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or whayt not.

I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

Reply to
jmagerl

Thinking of pines, a large one grew next to the house I used to live in. I decided to leave the needles and cones there. They looked a lot better than the mud that would be visible otherwise (it was too dark for grass).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Pine cones are useful if you have a wood-burning fireplace. They're good for starting fires. My parents used to keep an old washpot full of them next to the fireplace.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And lots of people want them to do all of that Martha Stewart stuff.

Reply to
George

One time I was collecting pine cones and a relative assumed they were for that. I knew they were actually for starting fires.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd