2' Live Pine Tree, Potted

Hi,

I wonder if anybody knows how to care for a little pine tree I bought at the supermarket at Christmastime. He's done his duty as a Christmas Tree and now I want to do right by him. I've put him in a 2' x 2' redwood barrell. I plan to plant him somewhere in the spring, but meanwhile, what does he need? The instructions told me to "keep soil damp, NOT SOAKED;" well, I did that and he got awfully dry. He even developed a few brown needles close to the trunk. I've been watering him a lot more since I noticed that, but I'm aware overwatering is just as perilous as under-watering. Do you know of a happy medium for pine trees between parched and drowned? A watering schedule, perhaps?

I live in Northern California where pine trees flourish. When springs comes, is there any reason I shouldn't plant him where other pines are growing wild -- in a regional park, say?

Thanks,

Harper

Reply to
Harper Willson

bought

Christmas

2'

but

soil

even

watering

is

medium for

perhaps?

springs

pines are

No schedule.

Here's an old bonsai trick. Take a chopstick and insert it deep into the soil about half way between the trunk and the pot rim. Remove the stick daily and feel the dirty end. If it feels damp do NOT water. If it feels dry, Water.

You don't say how large the tree is, how large its rootball is, or whether you just buried an existing rootball in the barrel and added potting soil (if the latter, be sure the chopstick penetrates the old rootball! The soil in the rootball probably will be compacted and water will have a tougher time getting in there and will naturally flow to the "filler" soil around the ball. It is important that the water get to the roots!).

If you used "plain" potting soil, it will be easy to keep the soil too wet.

As far as planting goes . . . is it native to your area? If it's not native (Italian stone pine, etc.) it may not do well where your natives grow. You don't want it in your yard? Only plant in park if the park rangers say it's OK; they may be concerned that your tree harbors critters they don't want in their park.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Jim Lewis

Oh, *thank* you. That should work very well.

He's 2' tall, and 11/2' tall, and maybe 11/2' around. Right now he's just a chubby little bush. The rootball was about 1' long, like a loaf of bread.

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

Ah, a very good thing to know. I will be careful to make sure the root ball gets plenty wet.

It has a few rocks, white flecks, etc. The nursery sales associate said it would be the best for my purposes.

It's species of pine was not mentioned on the little tag that came with him, so I'll have to take him into a nursery and find out. You have been enormously helpful, Jim. Thanks so very much!!

Harper

Reply to
Harper