Subject Author Posted Replies

3D printers
I've been making some components using glass fibre, finished with car body filler. They are caps, covers, and adaptors for various sizes of tube. They will be installed outside so must be durable,...
11
11

I'm in trouble
Got a drop of emulsion paint on a hot wood burning stove. Tried to wipe it off immediately with a wet cloth (and it removed most) but it's left a faint smear of baked on paint on the cast iron. On the...
7
7

bloody internet radio
anybody else being asked to "re-do your presets" because of changes in the provider? ...pain in the arse....
7
7

waterproof junction box
I'm installing a LED floodlight outside below a wooden soffit. It would be neat for the cable to go up to the soffit into a junction box where the 1mm2 lighting can enter from the loft. So in effect...
11
11

One Strike Filler
I emailed Everbuild with the following question; "Hi I run a handyman service and have used One Strike filler for years - wonderful stuff! Usually I'm never there to see it dry, but I used it in my...
66
66

US size single gang blanking plate
I'd be grateful for any pointers to an online source for a US size single-gang blanking plate. Googling has turned up just one UK supplier: it would be good to have any others for comparison. Many...
28
28

wagga wagga
see that advert that is set in a beach hut in Australia....well what is that green box they are taking calls on ?...no idea what they are selling as I block adverts out .....
7
7

Got his measure I think
In our local DIY shop this morning. Customer (male, my age, well dressed, pompous manner) "It needs to be one metre and 30 centimetres." Salesgirl "Oh that's OK. It comes in 1.4 metre lengths."...
29
29

Quick quiz - voltage operated ELCB
Quick quiz question: when might a voltage-operated earth leakage circuit breaker be *required*? Just found it reading 17th edition Site Notes. Owain
12
12

Replacement Balusters
We have a couple of missing balusters/spindles. They're 'square turned' IOW a square section, about 40mm square at the widest. It hasn't really bothered us - I've been casually looking for years and...
6
6

Tractor / mower clutch bodge
Lawnflite 703 Autodrive. PTO clutch for deck drive was slipping, so I decided to have a go at it. I have looked at it before, a mechanically operated clutch (rather than electrical) and then I found...
15
15

Further question/thought about position of fan isolator
I've just realised that the toilet extract fan I'm installing is totally inaccessible from the toilet cubicle itself because it's an inline fan with ducting either side that will be installed in the...
2
2

Problem with British Gas Smart Linked Thermostat
I had one of these systems installed in 2012, and it was subsequently migrated to the Hive network. I am having a problem with the portable thermostat. The battery indicator is flashing permanently,...
2
2

new wean
will the royal wean be of colour and will its middle name be Hewitt ? .....
25
25

best way to patch hole in plasterboard ?
Regardless of the cause of damage, patching a hole in drywall is an easy task. Watch this video to see an effective way to patch a large hole in drywall. Regardless of the cause of damage, patching a...
8
8