Subject Author Posted Replies

smart meters
Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes...
58
58

lotta wasps all of a sudden ...
(With the caveat that patio door and assorted windows are open) Just seen 3 wasps in the kitchen (which doesn't have the window open) and quite a few buzzing around close to the back of the house. Had...
26
26

Disposing of 'used' white spirit
I've been washing my brushes in white spirit to remove the residue of oil-based gloss paint, and now I have a few hundred mls of WS plus sludge to dispose of. I could simply pour it down the drain, or...
21
21

Wifi - Anyone Tried Mesh ?
Our house is a bit of pain Wi-fi coverage wise. I suspect it is combination of layout (split level over 3 floors), size(especially length), and materials. While I have got it covered by using several...
13
13

Cable that looks like SWA but maybe isn't
I am trying to identify the cable that feeds our house consumer unit. It was buried many years ago, before 1998 at least and quite likely some years before that. It's not a 'company' cable, the...
16
16

Noise early on a sunday, and why we cannot make silent tools
Now with all the great strides in technology, how is it that sawing up wood for flooring is still mechanical and not done by a handy black and decker laser device? A friend of mine had to vacate this...
44
44

OT Spare bog roll storage
Having watched a few TV programs in the last few days where the cameras enter peoples toilet/bathrooms, why do people store their spare bog roll(s) om the floor next to the toilet bowl? In one case...
22
22

Nice fire place plastering
To cheer up my shit week I managed to find a customer today that has bricked up a fire place and plastered it ready for an electric fire to be fitted. if you are called Brian and you are blind image...
11
11

OT ISP upstream
Sorry, but there are knowledgeable people here and I wondered if anyone knew where to look. I have been using the same block of IP addresses for more than 15 years and I now have to change ISP. This...
31
31

Bathroom Mirror with light
SWMBO wants an illuminated, demisting bathroom mirror on the wall. I have agreed proviing ith has a shaver socket. My question is about wiring it. It will be fitted almost where a Shaver Transformer...
39
39

Anyone got a surplus UA3730?
Its an old, redundant, Texas, 18pin IC code lock IC. Yes there are some on ebay, but at ridiculous cost.

Sky HD Box faulty sound
As our old Sky HD box was giving us trouble my son gave us his old unit. He checked it before he had it couriered down to us here in Cornwall., and it worked fine. I installed it yesterday and all was...
3
3

Long 4M Curtain Poles
We had the same problem as you. The poles here were 28 mm, antique brass colour (but made of steel), and 4m long. Originally they we just supported near both ends, and by one bracket in the middle....
11
11

OT: Amateur Theatre.
door effects unit. At the Orange tree in Richmond they have one but it also has a small door and latch as well which somehow sounds like a much bigger door. Brian
10
10

OT: Age-restricted
Actually though it gaols me to say it, but I imagine the reason is the obvious one ie its called Stanley as in Stanley knife and the idiots have never worried about the word after Stanley That brand...
18
18