OT: Amateur Theatre.

Ages ago, I made up what I called a bell box for use on a very low budget TV soap which I helped to set up on the technical side. Consisted of a door bell, ding dong and buzzer, all standard units. And also a Maplin electronic door bell with a choice of rings. All in one box and battery powered. Got the idea from BBC TV where they were common in the old days. Dunno about now.

Came across it and thought it would make sense to get it to a good home where it would be used. Amateur dramatics? School plays or whatever?

Anyone know what such a thing was called in the theatre?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just advertise it with a brief description.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Even the pantomime uses a laptop and sound files in my village. TW

Reply to
TimW

They probably use a mobile phone with a soundboard/fart app nowadays.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Care home.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

door effects unit. At the Orange tree in Richmond they have one but it also has a small door and latch as well which somehow sounds like a much bigger door. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No as I say recently seen effects trolleys in mainstream theatres, not everyone has a laptop or tablet to connect to the audio, often as well direction is important, and small units can be operated remotely. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can remember seeing those at the BBC too. But a separate device to the one which did doorbells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Must admit that using a mobile phone with a wireless link to the hall sound system would be well down my list on how to play in sound FX.

But then I do own a 360 Systems ShortCut which was fairly state of the art when I still did such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly the radio studios had them. But then along came sound effects records. I built a telephone ringer based on a BBC in-house design. But mine stopped when the handset was lifted. Phone had to be mofified to do that.

Reply to
charles

That reminds me. I have a home built ringer too. Which works with any phone which plugs into a standard BT socket. Loosely based on a Maplin design which generates the ring tone electronically. So is happy to run from batteries.

You're right with older phones which were hard wired. Think they had to have the strapping modified to work with the BBC one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)