Paint stripper recommendations

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an effective paint stripper for cellulose car paint? I always used to use Nitromores but the formulation went a bit t*ts up due to environmental laws IIRC. Any suggestions?

tnx.

Reply to
Dan Green

Brake fluid??

But do you need to strip it? Isn't rubbing down with wet and dry enough?

Reply to
newshound

acetone or cellulose thinners?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about recommendations for stripping varnish off wooden furniture prior to painting it. In particular, to strip it out of decorative grooves in the wood where you can't use sandpaper. Also there is the problem with paint and varnish that it quickly melts and then solidifies on sandpaper, clogging it so it loses its abrasiveness.

Are the solvents that can strip paint also suitable for varnish - possibly very old varnish dating from the 1940s or before.

Reply to
NY

you can still buy it, just not under the name nitromors. IIUC nothing to do with enviro laws, it's the toxic fumes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Pity we don't have any of the really old tins to read the safety info off, then. You're no doubt right; it's just another industrial chemical now but we don't know which.

Reply to
Dan Green

Dichloromethane / Methylene Chloride. With a bit of methanol.

newshound

yes we do. Dichloromethane. Beware where you use it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

True. All the paint strippers you can buy in a DIY store are now useless.

You'll find the old stuff on Ebay. For trade use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why on earth would he? If he'd obsessed over tiny little details like this, the British would never have ended up being on the point of regaining their freedom.

Haha! It was literally the first review I came across, Dave. No effort involved.

BTW, this sig quote of yours:

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Ah - right. Would never have done for him to actually do the job he was paid to do. Looking after UK interests in the EU parliament.

Of course not. The likes of you always believes the first thing Google throws up. No wonder Farage found it so easy to sell his lies to you.

And we can add in tag lines to the vast range of things you don't understand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)