Paint stripper

Anyone got one of these looking to buy one.

ben

Oops! are they any good, that is.

Reply to
ben

I don't think it will work too well on paint, as it is a wallpaper stripper!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

PMSL! gawd I meant wallpaper.

/walks out the room and comes back in.

Reply to
ben

Very good for wallpaper... naff all use for paint! (unless you use watercolour for DIY ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Pi$$ MySelf Laughing of course!

...I guess he needs a shower now...hope it is not a DIY installed electric one, running off an extension lead from the house next door....

Reply to
Sparks

It's a bucket with a heating element in it. You can get the same element rating (all that really matters) from their 20 quid model without the silly wheels on it. So don't spend any more than this - certainly not the crazy priced £100 ones.

A 45 minute water supply is lighter to carry than a 75 minute supply, and you'll be wanting that tea-break by then anyway.

My Earlexes have spent 3 years stripping walls, bending timber and getting lent out to people. Haven't broken one yet (I've killed a couple of other brands)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

NG Rule no 4: I (and many others) can never be arsed to click on links just to find out what your questions is. Either ask it or dont. Deliberately make our life harder and we are hardly going to help, are we.

Why do you want to paint a stipper anyway?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I need get the spots of me arse.

NG Rule no 1: then don't anwser the bloody post then if you cant be arsed. And who gave you the soapbox to speak for everyone else?

Reply to
ben

I think you will find that this is a PUBLIC newsgroup, open to everyone, even Drivel.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Actually quite a helpful reply I thought, telling you he wasn't going to answer your question and why rather than just ignoring you. The sort of guys who have a wealth of knowledge in DIY are likely to be old school (or perhaps just older :-) and will tend to ignore one liners, tinyurls, subject lines in caps and diybanter posters.

I don't think he was on a soapbox either, he said "I" and then added "(and many others)" as a secondary point, probably from experience, he's been around here quite a while.

Reply to
fred

If you read the post properly he states quite clearly...

'are we'

I have wealth of knowledge when it comes to DIY and to be honest if he didn't even consider clicking the link then he should have left it at that and not arrogantly print what he posted. How the hell are people going to get assistance on a Item if I just posted a Model number because their are three of the same items.

Reply to
ben

I think you have read the post wrong?

Read it again slowly.

Reply to
ben

This is a diy newsgroup. Anyone wanting a soapbox is supposed to make it himself.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks Andy got the £20 model.

Reply to
ben

Yes, after the bit I quoted but I get your point.

FWIW (and I am not telling you how to post), I would be more inclined to answer a post like your original if:

The subject line was repeated in the body or if there was at least some kind of description of what you're looking for before having to follow a link.

There was an alternate to the tinyurl or a mention of where it was going.

I know your tiny turned into a huge link but if you'd said that it was going to argos and maybe that it was pointing to stock codes x,y & z I'd be more likely to look.

Your original looked just like some of the spoofed tinys that point to affiliate click throughs so I'm inclined to just pass them by. If you're wanting folks to spend more than 30s helping you out then maybe it's worth spending more than 30s writing the post?

Reply to
fred

Chill out, don't worry about it. You are not going to please everyone.

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe I should have just been more direct and called it Stone Damn Obvious Rule no 4 if you actually want some helpful feedback.

Im not concerned what you in particular do, but reading post after post by wallies who say 'hey, nope Im not going to tell you what Im asking, would rather you went here, clicked this, downloaded that, looked at 4M worth of advertising graphics for no reason, just to complete a f---n sentence Im asking' i just put you down as another prat - hopefully wrongly. But either way, I have no intention whatever of assisting you with your question, whatever it was. Forget it.

Maybe youll just learn the lesson rather than pop the messenger, but probably not.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

In message , ben writes

Well I'm another person who didn't click on the link so didn't answer the question (I assume for the thread we are talking about a Steam Walpaper stripper), I have an Earlex and may have been able to off my experiences.

You could have said something like, 'I'm interested in getting one of these steam wallpaper strippers any comments', then I could have judged whether it is worth while following up the link.

Remember not every one is on Broadband, or as a permanent connection, or reads online. If someone on dialup, reading offline is going to look then they probably want to have some idea what it is.

After all, you are the person looking for answers, it's no skin of someone else nose if they don't answer you question. But you may miss out on a useful response

Reply to
chris French