Maye OT: spring compressor

I'm trying to replace the rear springs on my mk4 golf on the rears. Its literally one bolt to drop the damper? and the arm drops but its just too tight for me to wiggle the spring out. I was told if I had someone push the rear wheel it could be done but sadly I have no willing freinds who want to get their hands dirty. Normally you would need spring compressors buuuut as the rear springs on a mk4 golf are not on a lot of tension there is no chance they will ping everywhere on onto you killing you.

Sooo I guess I need some spring compressors which cost about £20 for a one time use for me.

Being a cheap skate is there any train of thought on how I could remove these without spending any extra money ?

thanks

Reply to
munki

You might get better advice on:

uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I'm a lurker in there and I'm sure they will be very blind sighted and all jump on the bandwagon and say buy the correct tool which is probly good advice but not the answer I'm after. I thought I may get a few creative thought heres :)

Reply to
munki

On some vehicles you can loosen the nuts/bolts passing through the ends of the damper, re-attach the road wheel, drop the vehicle to the ground compressing the spring, take out bolts and jack up again.

Another way is to apply another jack directly on the axle (though you may make the main jack unstable doing this).

I would however be surprised if there wasn't much residual force in the springs in the jacked up position - and if it suddenly goes twang, and your hand is inside the spring, your fingers may be mush.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Munki,

Have a look at this link (scroll down to about half way) and the information

*MAY* be of some use to you.

being just as tight fisted, I made a couple of spring compressors out of heavy duty steel pipe hook brackets, a couple of feet of 3/4 steel tube and threaded studding for a one off job - and still have them after about thirty years of intermittent and successful use. :-)

Reply to
Cash

Reply to
munki

Very interesting reply which has given me some ideas :) thanks kindly.

Reply to
munki

> Cash

Hmm cash I like it... a diy spring compressor, definitely worth a go. Thanks for the link I read it. I did exactly the same thing today and failed miserably. I was even comtemplating using the scossor jack to wedge init and try and turn it to shorten tohe sprig till the obvious danger occured :)

I really hate buying tools I know I'll just never use again.

Thanks for the post I'll have a think about a diy spring compressor.

Reply to
munki

After 20 years of wasted time, bodging and scraped knuckles, I've reached the opposite view. If there's a proper tool for the job, buy it. Also, get a dry, secure workshop, shed or garage with mains power. You'll enjoy the work more, you'll use the tools more, you'll be popular with your mates, you'll live to a ripe old age, and you'll have somewhere to hide when the MiL visits.

Reply to
Steve Walker

FWD road car...

- rear end coilover if linear are typically 120-180lb/in

- rear end coilover if progressive can rise significantly higher

Progressive easily spotted by a change in wire-counter per linear inch, since taper-wire is rather unlikely this side of unobtainium.

Springs are preloaded...

- firstly so they don't fly out when you go airborne

- secondly so the spring remains correctly seated

- each inch of preload is thus 120-180lb

Now, coilover means just that - coil over damper. Many cars put the springs between wishbone & subframe, so permitting a higher wishbone count or better geometry. In this instance the spring rate can be far higher & so preload.

Problem is not just how you get it OUT - but get it back IN. Front coilovers can have 450lb+, rears 350lb+ preload.

Hence the idea of a spring compressor so it CAN be removed and CAN be refitted. Go ask in the VW or Audi newsgroup.

Reply to
js.b1

>>> Cash

If you are anywhere near Southampton, you could borrow mine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Has the potential for the mother of all pingfuckits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Only a guide, but it's usually struts you have to be very careful with. They are always under fairly high compression when you dismantle them. Rear non strut types can often have the axle etc lowered enough to remove any compression on the spring. If fitting a new spring it should be obvious if this is the case by comparing lengths. But spring compressors are cheap and don't take up much storage room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What a wonderful word :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you know anyone with parcel strapping equipment? A few lengths of strapping put around the coils while they are under compression will hold them in place. Just make sure the seals are well made.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Tell that to Massa.

He might get a laugh..out of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jesus, you haven't got a single mate who can give you a hand for five minutes? Jack the car up on the chassis and put on axle stands, leave the wheels on and handbrake on, remove lower shock absorber bolt, get a mate to stand on the tyre or pull down on it and the spring just pops out.

Get out more and meet some new friends!

Reply to
Dave Baker

I liked it too :)

Reply to
munki

LOL... they're not the get you hands dirty type sadly.

Reply to
munki

On that thought, would a rachet strap not work? e.g.

The Medway Handyman