Loft insulation and wiring

Reading a label on some insulation (thinking of adding a bit every few weeks) and noticed the instruction to lift any electrical cables and re-lay them above the insulation - for heat dissipation.

Is this really necessary of cables feeding bedroom lights? I would have thought the wiring size would make it un-necessary.

Reply to
John

John wibbled:

How much insulation is between the cables and the ceiling - and how much are you planning to throw over the top of the cables? (Nearest 100mm)

What rating of breaker do you have (6A is common)?

I or someone else will happily look up the relevant figures if you can narrow the field a bit.

Any idea if the cables are 1.0mm2 or 1.5mm2 (Former is perhaps more likely)?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Present insulation is bog standard from 1988 build - I guess about 4inches. Wiring - not sure - but I guess you are correct.

I was planning to get some of that silver /plastic wrapped insulation that most of the sheds sell and put it at 90degrees to existing runs - across the joists. We have a lot of junk in the loft and doing it a bit at a time seems the best way.

Reply to
John