I recently moved into an old house (approx 250 years old) and have
found the old insulation to be fairly thin and broken down (about 1cm
mostly thickness mostly).
Since I have 4 inch joist height, my plan is as follows:
1) remove all old dust/rubbish/insulation (bag it all up)
2) staple down polythene sheet strips between the joists (to prevent
moisture entering the loft)
3) lay down 4 inches (100mm) of rockwool insulation
Once that has been achieved, I was planning on putting down 6x2's
across the existing beams to give me a total of 10 inch of effective
so phase II was:
1) put down 6x2's across existing joists
2) lay 150mm (6 inch) rockwool inbetween the newly defined joist space
3) board out loft for easy access/storage in the future
however I then stumbled across Polyfoam Supadeck on the knauf
This seems to achieve exactly what I was trying to do in my phase II.
(ie, insulate and board)
Now to my questions.
1) does any of the above make sense?
2) does phase I seem sane?
3) does phase II seem sane (either one).
4) am I sane!?
Also, I am having the house fully rewired in a few months, and
wondered what the best advice would be on where and how to run the
cables in the loft.
Sorry to have wittered on, but I hope someone can help me with my
first major diy project.