recessed lighting and dealing with loft insulation

Hi,

I got myself some nice low voltage halogens that I want to fit in an upstairs room that's converted to an office.

there's about 100mm of insulation in the loft overhead, but that is being increased to about 200mm next week, the instructions for the lights recommend that a clear space of 75mm is required around the light for safety/heat dissipation.

I've thought of fixing either metal or plastic 250mm pipe (about 300mm high) around the fittings to keep back the insulation but during the 'top up' next week I was going to temporarily cover the pipe to stop insulation getting in (it's loose stuff being 'sprayed' into the loft space) remembering of course to remove to covers once it's done.

Is there a better way? what would you guys recommend?

Please reply to the newsgroup - it's not my email address in the header!!

Reply to
Baffie

.. .snipped

I made some simple 5-sided covers out of plasterboard - quick, cheap and effective.

Reply to
Dave

In article , Baffie writes

I used flowerpots over mine, not plastic ones... the lights don't need an open space above, most of the installations are into confined spaces.

Reply to
Dave

Are you sure you want to do that? I have it, courtesy of the previous owner. Horrible stuff; gets everywhere. Also:

Is there a better way? what would you guys recommend?

Try searching the archives of uk.d-i-y: this topic comes up about fortnightly and every conceivable method has been covered!

Lobster

Rolls Royce Job

Bought some stainless steel coffee/tea canisters from pound shop, along with mesh lid thingies that are used over frying pans to stop fat splatter. Throw away lids from canisters. Grind off "bottoms" of canisters. Cut circle of mesh a bit bigger than canister bottom and form over. Stick edge of mesh to canister top with super glue, then tile adhesive as it was handy. Cut notch in bottom edge of canister in one place for light cable - make sure no sharp edges. When adhesive dried, stick in place over fitting using plumber's mate to bed and locate bottom edge of canister and seal cable entry.

Advantages:

Look good if you turn the "Tea" logo to the back - yes I know no-one but me will see them. Fine mesh allows light and heat into loft space without letting creapy crawlies and debris into room below (important in my case as the room in question was bathroom). Sealing with plumber's mate also helps keep out unwanted visitors. Low cost - £8 total

Disadvantages:

Takes a bit longer than throwing a few plant pots up there. Had to find canisters of suitable size for light fittings - my fittings are angle and rotation adjustable and are therefore "taller" above ceiling than cheaper fixed alternatives.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I just used these instead of your coffee tins:

(you get two or three lights-worth per 1.49 length, depending on insulation depth

and plumber's mate gets bored, and keeps on asking for cups of tea

David

Reply to
Lobster

A quick line to thank everyone for the reply, I read the diy group every day and couldn't recall ever seeing this one before! (pay attention at the back!! haha)

thanks also for the pointer to the faq's - now in my favourites.

in fact, just spent best part of three hours reading through stuff on the faq's that I've no intention of doing!

I doff my cap to the ingenious souls who share there knowledge here, in my case, I particularly liked the tea/coffee caddy idea, I was in a local equivalent of a pound shop today and almost bought six full size buckets for £1 each, as they gave enough volume and space from the light fitting I was gonna drill holes in the top (bottom actually) to dissipate heat, but the plastic still gave me cause for concern, I'm going on a caddy hunt tomorrow....

thanks again.