Why use dry mix + water for fence posts?

Simple question really...
Why use a dry concrete mix around fence posts and then water in rather than a normal (sloppy?) concrete mix that can be poked around the hardcore supporting the (concrete) posts?
Does it actually matter? I've got a fence to put up this Easter and am just not sure of the best way to go about it.
Cheers
Neil

just
The dry mix and pour is lot more convenient. You don't have to mix it, which requires tools and cleaning. I presume it won't be quite as strong, but I've used it many times and not one post has come down since. Note that I usually use them with "concrete-in" met posts, to keep the wood out of the ground where it will rot and then be difficult to replace.
You need one bag per post.
Christian.
Neil Jowsey wrote:

Two summers ago I nearly killed myself digging lots of holes for fence posts with one of those manual hole digging jobbies, then knocking up sloppy concrete to fill the holes in again. I did consider using 2' post spikes but the ground is hard and stony.
This winter two of the posts snapped at the bottom so as a "temporary" (yeah right) measure I bought two post spikes from Wickes. The weekend just gone I hammered them in and they were a piece of weewee! Went straight in, no problems at all, and they're just as sturdy as concrete.
Never again will I dig a fence post hole.
Si

I hired a post hole borer machine last time I did some fencing - made the "hole digging" very easy!
Alan.
Alan wrote:

I did consider that but I didn't need to dig too many holes; about a dozen. What I didn't realise was that the manual version needs a *lot* of downwards force as well as the expected round-and-round. Never again.
Si

Cut The idea of using dry mix concrete for fence posts is that it can be consolidated to support the post with out any other mean of support. If sloppy mix is used the post will fall or lean over and will need ridged additional support. You can actually fix the panels to the post when using dry mix. Dry mix is actually not 100% dry but on the damp side.
Keith 765