Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite

I've got a bit of metal with plastic bits attached (wind deflector for a car sunroof). There's no obvious way to remove the plastic bits, and I don't want to break them, as it'll mean a new part.

If I use a paint stripper like nitromors, am I likely to dissolve the plastic? It's a fairly complicated shape but I could most likely remove a fair bit of paint and surface rust with a dremel. I intend to paint it with hammerite, but these things tend to spend a lot of time in water / damp.

Reply to
Doki

I took the house numbers off the front of the house and left them in a bowl of paint stripper to clean off lots of coats of paint. 10 minutes later, they were completely gone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes. It's the reason strippers come in metal containers

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You could try caustic soda

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, as long as it's an oil based paint. Won't touch acrylics although it sometimes crazes the surface making it easier to remove by mechanical means.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Probably not., but try it first. If a drop on the back doesn't damage the surface before it evaporates, you're OK. If your plastic is opaque polypropylene (typical car trim), then it should survive OK. If it's polystyrene (most finely moulded parts like house numbers, car lights or most transparent plastics) then it'll be gone in no time.

If car trim was sensitive to solvents, then we could solvent weld it to repair it instead of having to do it with heat guns.

Reply to
Andy Dingley