Underlay for solid wood floor ?

I am getting solid wood (18mm thick) layed on floor boards. The installer says I don't need an underlay. Is it better to have one anyway?. Also, do I need a Damp Proof Membrane?.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Lasitha

Reply to
Lasitha

Shouldn't solid wood floors be nailed, clipped or glued to the subfloor? I thought only engineered wood flooring was recommended for floating installations.

HLAH

Yes. It will be nailed. Just wanted to know if I still need an underlay.

Reply to
Lasitha

I would have thought then that an underlay would compromise the rigidity of the floor if nailed. As for a damp proof membrane, wouldn't that be rather compromised by all the nail holes in it?

HLAH