Solid Wood flooring & self-adhesive underlay

Has any one any experience with Screfix's "Solid Wood Self-adhesive underlay" ? I've seen similar products sunch as Envoy Multi-adhesive & Elastilon. All say they are perfect for engineered, but can be used for any wood flooring. The name of the screwfix product seems to suggest Solid Wood is okay too.

Anyway, I need to lay 70mm red oak random length strips in a hall measuring 8m long, and varying in width from 1.4 to 2m. The original floor is a mixture of concrete and suspended wood: most of the concrete is obviously not Damp proofed - as there are occasional signs of dampness. My initial though was to lay battens (fixed in both the concrete and suspended floors), however I am worried about the extra height. I then saw this product andit seemed an ideal solution - I could put down some DPM on the concrete bits, and then use this stuff right across everything.

Is this stuff simple to use ? The problem, of course is that with this type of flooring a certain amount of force is generally required to fit the groove into the tongue of the previous strip - is the adhesive storng enough to survive the fitting ?

Reply to
SteveG

I have Envoy Elastilon under engineered hevea - superb, but a nightmare to lay. It definitely reduces noise. The instructions were to lay it onto a dp membrane (concrete subfloor), and if you have concerns about damp you could seal the joints in that with tape. I got mine, plus quite a lot of useful information, from

who were quite helpful over the phone. The biggest problems are a) laying the first two rows (imagine holding the underlay in place, holding the planks in place, peeling the plastic without moving either), b) sometimes peeling the plastic off the glue was a problem - it is INCREDIBLY sticky - enough to pull all the hair off your arm.

Reply to
SarahEmmm