Underlay for engineered wood flooring

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating engineer ed wood flooring on a concrete base?
From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses, tog ratings, sound insulation etc and of course price. My initial thoughts are that a decent thickness and tog rating could be beneficial on a ground floo r, however I wondered if this would lead to sponginess/springiness underfoo t? Perhaps it's a good thing having some 'give' and it may make it a bit qu ieter to walk on? Speaking of sound, I am assuming the 'sound deadening' un derlays are more to minimise transmission of noise *through* the underlay ( to rooms below) and not for reducing floor-related noise within the room it self?
On 31/01/2019 21:02, Mathew Newton wrote:

I used one of the better ones - it is soft, but the floor is not spongy. The wood evens the load out to the point where it cannot easily compress a larger area.
I recommend a vapour barrier - some of the underlays have a plastic film to act as a barrier and it's a good idea to tape these joints.
Check the subfloor for flatness with a 4ft level - you might need some 1mm and 2mm card handy to pack out low spots (happened on every floor I've ever laid).
--
Email does not work

The professional who fitted our engineered Oak over screed and wet underfloor heating used a polythene backed 3mm foam. No issues over 9 years use.
Ground floor and solid concrete sub base so no noticeable noise. The cottage has an extension with screed over block and beam. The tiled area *thumps* a bit if you walk heavily.
Upstairs, I used 22mm grooved chipboard and aluminium spreader plates, https://www.screwfix.com/p/polyolefin-foam-film-underlay-15m/7260r topped with 12mm hardwood ply and low tog underlay and carpet. Noise free:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On 01/02/2019 11:12, Tim Lamb wrote:

I used that and its OK after 16 years.