How much for two 4inch fixed white extractor fan grilles?

Needed two today for work. They were an unplanned part of the job so I nipped down to a large UK builders merchants for them.

There is not much choice around where I was working apart from this merchants.

When given the price I said "You could have put a mask on and made an effort" before walking out without buying the items.

Reply to
ARW

T&P Manrose Egg Crate Grille 100mm, £2.68+VAT Jewson won't show me prices

Reply to
Andy Burns

And of course counter staff decide what an item is priced at. They probably know the stuff is well overpriced and wouldn't shop there themselves.

To not act like a knob just walk out.

Reply to
soup

£8 from B&Q

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message <fFI4E.392359$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.am, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Perhaps they are sound proof ones:-)

The chalet bungalow is fairly exposed and whichever way the wind blows there is at least one gravity close shutter clattering!

I was able to inform TV licensing that we may be moving in on

01/04/2019:-) Applying for an over 75 concession on their site is a bit challenging for a geriatric. You start by applying for a new license!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

They often have quite wide discretion about what level of discount is given on cash sales ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

What are they made of, and are they close meshed or like the ones you see on the back of computers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am astounded why anyone frequents a conventional builders merchant. There can be only two reasons, first they deliver on site and secondly I would hope account holders get a good discount and credit.

I have found it useful to get a price from a DIY shed and ask them to match, they often will, if not I ask is that the best they can do before walking out.

Another offender is CEF, I have never bought anything from them. How do they sell anything?

Reply to
Fredxx

They're a prime example of a place you have to ask to get a discount, I do try to avoid going in when it's obvious they're busy.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or any large enough order and the price will normally tumble.

I ordered 20+ rolls of torch on roofing felt from one once, and paid about £32/roll. Later ordered another and had a mate pick it up. They charged him £55. So I phoned and highlighted the discrepancy, and they apologised said they had not spotted it was a follow on for an existing customer, and promptly refunded the difference. Shows just how much they will take the pee if you walk in off the street and don't argue about the price.

I checked the price of a couple of packs of paving slabs with Travis "twice the price" perkins once, and got a silly quote, but they did offer to do a price match. So I gave them the Wickes price, (about £200 less per pack), and then they said they are not able to do a price match on Wickes products. I highlighted they they owned Wickes and this seemed a bit daft! Needless to say Wickes got the order.

Same deal, presumably a trade account or large enough order and they probably become competitive.

Even TLC who normally are not bad with advertised prices will quite often do me a better price at the counter than they advertise on the web.

Reply to
John Rumm

£20/each ?
Reply to
John Rumm

Edmundsons electrical can also be like that. I bought a few bits cash last year from a branch where I was not known.

They dropped the asking price from £17 to £7 when I questioned them.

Reply to
ARW

Cheaper than I was offered. But not by much.

Reply to
ARW

30 bob each sounds about right to me.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The Wickes near where I used to live opened up a Toostation counter at the back of the store. If I bought anything there that Wickes also sell, i would make point at looking for and having a laugh at the Wickes price befor picking up my order from TS!

Reply to
Terry Casey