How much for extension?

I have a 8ft by 8ft wood constructed utility room with sloping tile roof on the back of my house that is in bad repair. It really needs knocking down and rebuilding in brick.

I have just received a quote for the same size building, using new foundations, reuse tiles for roof, double cavity wall, UPVC windows and door, radiator and electrics for £10,000.

This seems a lot of money for just 8 x 8 utility room which is just used to house the washing machine, tumble dryer etc. Any opinions?

MTIA

Dan

Reply to
no_spam

Mary Fisher

wooden garden shed?

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Another comparison; 6.5m x 3.5m single storey, single pitch tiled roof £26k. Mine was the same design/construction as the one next door (same builder) but ~10% larger floor area. Next doors cost ~£17k ~3 years ago. At first I thought the builder was trying to price himself out of the job because he had a lot of work on (he's a reputable local guy, 30 years in the business, not a cowboy) but research showed it was the going rate. Apparently building costs have soared over the last couple of years (in part due to complying with ever increasing legislation).

As John said, it's irrelevant what use you are putting the extension to. Also, if you think the builder is expensive, wait 'til you get the bill from your LA for, basically, doing sweet FA (in my case £110 for the planning perm. and £400 for building control, who sent two different inspectors who couldn't agree on how deep the footings needed to be - and they say builders are cowboys!). Oh, and don't forget, the LA want paying up-front ('cept *I* made them wait).

Reply to
Parish

Maybe in the context of what you want it for, but it would cost substantially the same if you wanted to use it for anything else.

For comparison a 2m5 x 2m5 extension, new foundations, flat roof, one uPVC window, bath basin & WC, done by a builder I know as a moonlight job was £10K.

Reply to
John Stumbles