Fitting tumble dryer wall vent

How hard is this to do? Where do I start?

Whats the best place to buy one of these kits?

Reply to
paulfoel

Buy from any of the sheds

Pick the location for the hole

Either hire a core drill or drill a pilot right though and a ring of small holes from either side and join up the holes with an sds chisel

Fit liner and plate/vent either side

Or buy a condensing drier

Easy either way

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I would say it is difficult and could leave you in a mess if you cavity wall insulation. Have a look for one of the devices that hoks up to the end of the vent pipe and turns the steam to water by adding a few ice packs. I would rather do that than take a hammer and drill to the wall.

Reply to
Frank

I did this many years ago.

Hired a corer drill to cut the correct diameter hole - don't do it without it.

Drill hole - I aligned my drier outlet hole with the hole- cut it in the right place.

Inserted plastic pipe to bridge cavity - cut to size. Ours was a very snug fit.

Fit outer grille.

Attach hose connector inside.

I don't think there is a best place.

Subsequently we have purchased a condensing drier. I wouldn't buy a non-condenser ever again, or drill a hole ever again.

Paul

Reply to
On Web

We have been using a dehumidifier for some time in a smallish room. This makes interesting reading,

R D S

That will approximately double the running cost though.

Reply to
dennis

Some personal experiences....

When I first vented our old tumbler out of our kitchen wall years ago, I hired a heavy duty Hilti drill and big core bit from HSS. The bit wasn't diamond - big mistake as our house bricks are hard as nails. Took so long and my arms were achin so much with weight of the drill, I ended up putting a stepladder over where I was working and hanging the drill from it with a bit of rope to take some of the weight. Our cavity walls are full of rockwool so no problem there.

When I came to do the cooker extractor pipe high up on the kitchen wall, I went for the lots of holes and big hammer/chisel approach. That was much easier/safer to do up a ladder and not too time consuming. Wished I'd done the same for the tumbler.

When we got a dishwasher, I worked out that the tumbler would JUST fit in the walk-in airing cupboard upstairs. So cut a hole in the ceiling and put a vent pipe into the loft and out through a soffit mounted vent. Had lots of condensation in the pipe though so it had to go up a couple of feet and slope down gradually and evenly supported by timber to get the water draining out as theres about 8ft of pipe up there.

Had condensing tumblers been available 20 odd years back, I'd likely have gone for one of those. Interesting idea on the dehumidified room though......

As previously posted, kits like this are widely available.

Midge

> Midge.

If youre just doing one hole, drill and chisel is a much cheaper option than a core drill.

I would also suggest that a TD isnt the best option any more, and a venting one would be something of a no-no in my book. I find a dehumidified wardrobe/room rather more convenient, very effective, significantly less cost and noise, and it leaves more space in the kitchen. For some people that results in space for a dishwasher, which is a great bonus.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

>>> Midge.

It sounds like a recipe for stretched mouldy clothes. Obviously I'm wrong.

Reply to
On Web

In the case of a cavity wall you'd probably also want to drill a pilot hole the same size as the centre bit on the core tool right through the wall first.

Reply to
Mark Evans

Our builder, who agreed to do this as a favour at the same time as other work, took two-and-a-half hours to get through a doublecourse of Accrington brick.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

I also did this, and you can do it much easier (and cheaper) than that.

If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster, the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Why?

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

We have an A rated condenser dryer - it's rubbish.

Reply to
David Kennedy

Can you make ice without paying for the electricity to run the freezer to make it? (Other than outdoors on very cold winter nights.)

Reply to
Rod

you have to make the ice.

Reply to