Compression fittings

IIRC the old 1/2" copper pipe is so close to 15mm that new fittings will go onto old pipes, but I'm not sure about the old 3/4" copper.

Will a 22mm compression fit or do I need an adaptor?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave, you are correct for 15mm, but 22mm -> 3/4" needs an adaptor. mind you iirc 1/2" is a tight squeeze.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You need an adaptor for soldered, or for compression, get some 22mm-3/4 olives. These can be used in normal 22mm compression fittings, but are fatter at one end to allow 3/4 pipe to be sealed well in the larger 22mm fitting. Only available at decent plumber merchants, 50p each iirc, which seems a lot for an olive, but remarkably cheap compared to a proper 22 to 3/4 compression fitting. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Cheers for the tip Alan, I've got a proper plumbers place nearby.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ideally, as others have mentioned, a 3/4" olive. But you can get away with murdering up a soft copper 22mm olive onto 3/4" pipe, might not be so successful with a hard brass 2mm olive.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Go to a real merchant and ask for a "green" olive.Substitute this for the one in your 22mm fitting.Cost pennies. Mark.

Reply to
mark

By a real merchant, do you mean one that stocks tartan paint, sky hooks & long weights?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

========================================= More likely to be one that's closed when you need something in a hurry.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ok,smarty,come back with the smart answers when you actually know something about the subject. A green olive is the industry standard way of joining 3/4" copper to

22mm with a 22mm fitting.Has been available since metric pipe first appeared. Is painted green so muppets like your self know what it is.
Reply to
mark

Indeed, you know the place ;-)

That would be a *woosh* then...

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd assumed that you were winding me up. e.g. trying to get me to go to a local plumbing shop & ask for a 'green olive' as in fruit.

The term 'green olive' may well be a regional term relevant to the area you live in. A Google search for 'green olive' gives 1.5 million results, the first 4 pages deal only with restaurants & recipies. No mention of a plumbing application.

I was in my local plumbing merchants today, they supplied 2 suitable olives - which were certainly not painted green at all. They are a goldy colour distinctly different from other olives I have seen. I asked if these were called 'green olives' and they clearly had no idea what I was on about.

It may be the 'industry standard' where you live. They may be called 'green' olives where you live. They may be painted green where you live.

None of which seems to apply in the south east of England. If you enter 'green olives' into the Screwfix search engine you get a page of safety trainers.

If I misunderstood you and incorrectly assumed it was a wind up or a joke, then I appologise.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Care to post some links that show this?

Reply to
Toby

Given this question has come up several times on here during the many many years I've been reading this group, it's the first I've heard of this expression. And since I was around when the conversion happened and bought such things then something painted green would have stuck in the mind. Nor does painting an olive sound like good practice to me - they rely on intimate contact to seal properly.

Perhaps it's a regional thing like 'pattress'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just had a look in my plumbing bits in the shed. Two large olives. One has a slightly larger taper on one side and has a slight green tint. These are from 1988 when I redid the kitchen and bathroom in my last house and had to connect old imperial to new metric pipework

Reply to
Alang