Terraced House design (asymmetrical roof)

Interested in other similarly titled post. There are several streets of houses around here, and I'd never noticed before, they have asymmetrical roofs, such that the front of the house appears 2-storey, and the rear 3-storey (no "loft" rooms). The roof ridge is near the back of the house to accomodate this. There are some streets (viewed from top of new Ikea store !), where there are also 2 storey houses with the same roof angle, only differing in the height and position of the ridge. I wondered if this is common anywhere else ? I wonder if it was to preserve the front view for planning reasons, although these houses are around 1900s I think. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson