Roof Tiles and winds

Having been in my new home for just about a year, recent storms have shown that our roof tiles sound as though they lift and slam back down again, making one hell of a racket. Is this right? I've never had this before in any of the homes I've stayed in, and the first night it happened, I moved my car out of the way just in case, but the noise kept the family awake till five in the morning.

Usually this happens at night, and I can't see onto the roof to witness this.

Regards

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

You've not left the reindeers up there, have you?

Reply to
mike

Roof tiles should not lift in the moderate wind we've had over the last few days. Usually the tiles are lifted by vortex wind, but I've never known them to lift and slam back down. The only time I've come across tiles rattling is on vertical tile hanging. What type of tile is on the roof, Rosemary type or profiled interlocking type. Is the roof a flat or steep pitch.

Reply to
keith_765

Sorta rippling noise, like you'd get from a tide on a pebble beach, or riffling a pack of cards? Seen other houses with that in windy locations - tiles lift and fall in a gentle mexican wave, but never so far that they come unattached

Reply to
Steve Walker

A while ago this was shown on television related to a whole estate of houses where the tiles had not been fitted properly. From memory, it was something like every third row should be nailed - or was it the end ones of every row? Or...

Wasn't really paying attention at the time. Not sure what channel or year! Possibly Watchdog within the last three years?

Seem to remember that huge numbers blew off completely when the wind blew quite strongly one night. And I don't think that was a hurricane or tornado.

Please someone help me - I am sure I saw something... :-) Anyone else remember?

Reply to
Rod

Mine often rattle in high wind, but they haven't in the recent gales. They are danum slate (interlocking concrete tiles, there's a redland equivalent). The builder was a cowboy mass producing one beginning with a B.

Reply to
<me9

Bellend?

I get an awful lot of tile rattle in strong winds (such as on Thursday) too; although I haven't gone outside to listen specifically, they sound like the vertical tiles around the north-facing front dormer of the house. I'm not certain what they are made of, but they are green-coloured Marley things (possibly concrete) dating from ca.

1973. The roof has about a 50 degree pitch and the only damage I've sustained to its tiles (famous last words!) has been caused by dislocation of a couple of ridge tiles a few years ago.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

You might find it is the wind resonating the gutters! Odd as it might sound, it does happen.

Reply to
Ian

CUT Roof tiles should not lift in the moderate wind we've had over the last

The danum slate, which is no longer produced, as no nail holes, they should be fixed with bittern clips and should have verge clips as well. The Redland one is the Stonewold, not to be confused with the mini stonewold, which is smaller.

Reply to
keith_765

As stated before, vertical tile cladding is prone to tile rattle. The cure for this is to place a dob of silicone underneath about half way up across the joint of the two tiles below.

Reply to
keith_765

Its not usually the gutter that resonating, but more likely the overhanging underlay. Modern underlay is very flexible and vibrates in the gutter.

Reply to
keith_765

Stonewold is the one, considerably cheaper than Danum Slate were when I last needed any. They should be clipped at perimeter and every third tile IIRC, but B*****t were a bit mean on them. However, I've only had two displaced in

30 years, but they do worry me with the rattle in high winds.
Reply to
<me9