Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (does it exist?)

I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

Silicon paste used as glue? (rub it in firmly at the break surface)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

A slow cure 2 part epoxy will actually do a permanent repair on clay roof tiles. I have used it for some emergency repairs on clay drainage tile and it is still intact a decade later.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and cracking the tiles...

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I'm not sure what a 'personal approval' is, but I had to take down a torn- apart chimney enclosure.

I have to go back up to snap some pictures the team asked for.

Plus, I have to go up to fix the tiles!

I've learned to walk on the arches - but even then, I crack a few every time I go up there.

I wonder if a hot-glue gun, which heals in seconds, will take the hot summer heat?

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

It's SOP, according to my roofers.

They say replacement tiles for our 1939 roof run about $80/tile, if you're lucky enough to find one. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

How about putting a sheet of pywood between the 250 lbs and the roof, to spread it out. I sure wouldn't walk directly on a tile roof, unless it belonged to someone else.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Interesting. I didn't think anyone actually glued a tile ... but I really don't want to re-roof the whole section! (I already bought 100 replacement tiles - I just don't really know how to do the re-roofing part.)

Here is a picture of the newly bought tile shape that needs to be glued.

Notice how 'thin' this tile is (US Tile Claymax).

The only problem with the suggested epoxies, I think, is that I would think we'd need a quick-dry which will 'fix' while I'm still up there on the roof, holding the parts together with my hand.

Did we come to a consensus as to which glue will: a) Be strong enough to hold porous tile together b) Be quick-drying enough to set in a minute or two (while being hand held) c) Be durable enough to last the heat and cold cycles on the roof

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

ttp://

Ive glued things together with slow set epoxy that was difficult to hold in place while the glue was drying by also using a little fast set glue like a 5 minute epoxy or super clue .Superglue should hold tiles pretty good.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I've never had success with cyanoacrylates on (a) porous surfaces, and (b) large surfaces.

The problem with cyanacrolates (e.g., superglue) is they the glue itself is extremely weak. So, while the molecular bonding is fantastic, you really want a single molecule layer thick of the stuff, no more, no less.

That's really hard to do on rough cracked chipped porous surfaces like a clay tile, even a recently broken clay tile. So, from 'my' experience, superglue would be one of the worst possible choices for clay tile.

Besides, we're talking a LOT of (what turns out to be expensive) super glue! Even if it did work (which I really doubt it would).

But, not to sound condescending, I 'do' welcome the suggestions. I'm particularly motivated now that you guys tell me roofers habitually glue roofing tiles (I hadn't expected that).

Is there an epoxy that can set while I'm on the roof holding the tiles (two minutes or so)?

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

the faster epoxy sets, the weaker it is, in general.

if you can remove them, glue them in a jig, and heat them gently, then replace, they'd be stronger. you could also laminate them on the down side with some fiberglass mat wetted with epoxy for reinforcement.

Reply to
chaniarts

Actually, I bought 100 of the tiles just now. If I'm gonna 'remove' it, I may as well replace it! :)

Here is a picture of a new one.

I guess I'm now morphing to the idea of replacing them.

They only have a single hole ... it's on top ... in the middle. One nail. Also one wind-hold-down hook on the bottom (which hangs off the prior tile).

Can anyone point me to a howto for replacing a single roof tile of this type? (Claymax, US Tile company). Yes, I have an email pending to their sales department.

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

Interesting idea. That would give the tile a strength and water repentance that simply gluing might not.

It might be a bit hard to get UNDER the tile though.

Here is a picture of the tiles in place, for example.

It might be, that if I have to remove the tile, I may as well replace it then. The thing that scares me is HOW to replace just one tile in a sea of tiles.

Reply to
Aaron FIsher

there must be a way. you might have to take off an entire string starting at the lower edge.

call up a roofer who does tile and ask.

Reply to
chaniarts

My guys use plain ol' roofing asphalt. It doesn't need to set that quickly, the tile is just sitting there.

My tiles tend to crack/break across their width, so slapping some asphalt on both pieces is easy and they don't have to remove the fastened top of the tile.

No problems with their technique over 15 years. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman