22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Hello,

What size spanners do you need for 22mm straight compression fittings? The nuts are 32mm but what about the flange on the middle of the body? I measured it with a vernier calliper and I think it was 28.5mm, which seems an awkward size. Rounding that up to 29mm, I could not find any

29mm spanners anywhere. Would a 30mm spanner be too big or do you "cheat" and use adjustable ones?

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Sorry to post to myself; I hit send too soon.

I also have to dismantle a leaky and very old pillar tap. I measured that and the flange is 34mm wide so I need to buy something that is that wide (fixed or adjustable).

I do have stilsons and adjustable spanners but they stop at about 30mm (and are only marked up to 25mm). It seems most spanner sets only go up to 24mm, so for 22mm plumbing a new set of spanners is required. Why don't sets include these sizes? Surely they must be used often, or is it that all the professionals solder?

Screwfix used to sell a big Hilka spanner set up to 32mm (IIRC) but I had three or four sent to me and all were rusty on arrival, so all got sent back. Any recommendations on what and where to buy or not buy?

I guess the tap needs a new washer and or reseating.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I bought two of these:

messed about with other tools, these are the biz for firmly tightening compression fittings (even in awkward locations) without tearing the corners off the fittings.

Opens to about 42mm IIRC.

Reply to
RubberBiker

I always end up with Stilsons when plumbing - usually two pairs. I've always wanted some 'proper' spanners and keep meaning to make a list of sizes to take to a car boot - I suspect a lot of the sizes required are imperial/Whitworth ones.

Reply to
Scott M

Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Nothing "cheating" about using adjustable spanners :) Unless space is tight and you need a slim normal spanner.

A good quality Bahco in a couple of sizes deals with many evils.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

also fit 20 mm swa glands but not the nut.

Reply to
dennis

I have a massive jumbo adjustable spanner I picked up years ago. Have also been known to use a mole wrench, adjustable pliers etc.

Reply to
Invisible Man

"Stephen" wrote

I find pipe grips invaluable. They will adjust and grab many hexagonal shapes, radiator valve bodies etc. Plus they have narrow(ish) jaws so will fit where stilsons won't. A set of these and 2 or three shifter sizes will cover a lot of plumbing jobs. You don't need to apply ridiculous leverage even to make up a 22mm compression joint, so as long as you have a pretty firm grip these are a must

are examples of type only - look for quality items to purchase

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen saying something like:

Varies from maker to maker.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bahco are overpriced and rust.

make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to maker.

One of these which is brill as it locks - Stanley lockable adjustable smooth jaws. About £20, but seen one for £10 at a tool stall once:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:58:57 +0100, Invisible Man had this to say:

Don't forget that compression fittings are BSP sized, therefore the correct spanners will (or should be) imperial size.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'd say it might also depend on the make of fitting - some still seem to use the old imperial sizes on the body. Luckily I have a fair selection of such spanners so just use one that fits.

This chart might help you guess what it is :-

Dave Plowman (News)

Trouble is Stilsons usually mark the fitting which annoys me - they have jaws for dripping round things so have to cut in. A good quality adjustable is better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Invented by a northerner? They have jaws for dripping as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Possibly

No they don't - mine's 15 years old and in mint condition.

Reply to
Tim S

Bollox.

> What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to > maker.

Agreed, brilliant tool, the puppies parts. Got mine from Axminster.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd have called those water pump pliers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My wide-jaws rusted after 1 month.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You know nothing about tools!

>>> What make does it fit? The nuts are all different from maker to >> maker.

Ah Good. You are learning. Keep it up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stilsons are for pipes only - not fittings!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel