Cost for 3m x 3m kitchen extension.

SWMBO is looking at to move (west mids)

We have found a possible but the kitchen is too small! As a ballpark figure what are we looking at for costs to build a a 3m x 3m extension (single story) out the back. There is level ground out the back, so no landwork required.

We can ignore the internals (apart from plastering) as the rest will be DIY.

Any one done anything similar.

Reply to
Clive

10 grand.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup! In your neck of the woods - Sutton in the late 70's. Our first house. It had a "galley" kitchen.

We put a similar sized box on the back as a non-inhabitable room to house the washing machine, tumble drier, fridge and freezer and dump our wellies, wet weather gear, etc., single skin brickwork (which I would not advise) to waist high, spacers and plasterboard inner skin with Magnet (or Boulton & Paul) windows with flat roof above done with chipboard and felt topping, (in a style that could enable it to be removed if "BCO" came round. At that time, all non-inhabitable rooms had to have "glass" or corrugated plastic roofs,(not so, today, I believe). It was a relatively easy job to do, though if I was doing it today, I'd have cavity wall with insulation and sealed double glazed units in the windows.

I did it then for well under £500, though I did the whole job - had to, a post grad student at the time!

TNP's estimate for MY project seems to be well costed for contingencies!

Reply to
clot