Hammerite paint

I am painting a metal fence. So far I have power sanded it to get rid of loose paint etc and treated the worst of the rust with Kurust (made by Hammerite)..

I see that Hammerite can be applied direct to rust and that Kurust can be coated with almost any paint afterwards.

Would it be a good idea to coat the worst areas with red oxide primer or could this worsen the adhesion of the Hammerite paint if it is designed to adhere to the metal (or rust)?

Reply to
Scott

I've always found Hammerite a bit generous with their claims about "direct to rust". Red oxide primer is what's used in the serious world and I'm pretty certain it would do no harm to use it on the sanded or Kurusted areas followed by Hammerite.

Reply to
newshound
<Snip>

The red will be a pigment. IF you can get real lead oxide paint, do let us know.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's on back order along with the sodium chlorate and asbestos sheeting. .

Reply to
Scott

I don't think red oxide exists these days does it? Engenamel is not usable due to its need to be stoved. . Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

lead paints are still available

Andy Burns

It certainly does:

Scott

Not to be confused with red lead primer, which probably worked better but is now virtually unobtainable.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Expensive, but obtainable (maybe if it wasn't from a chandlers?)

Andy Burns

Reply to
George Miles

It's iron oxide now. Still works, though.

Reply to
newshound

Wtf. I just spend a day destroying iron oxide.

Reply to
Scott

Yes, quite, rust is "iron oxide".

Reply to
Chris Green

At the risk of appearing pedantic, no you didn't. Typical rust is a mixture of hydrated iron oxides and, if you are near the sea or it is the underside of a car may well include a bit of salt.

Your red oxide paint will be fairly pure Fe2O3, ground to a fine and uniform powder, well dispersed in the resin binder. This means it forms a well adhered and impenetrable barrier to moisture ingress.

Reply to
newshound

Okay, I was being a bit flippant.

Reply to