Cleaning electrical contacts

Hi all

I have a couple of issues which require me to clean those fragile looking ribbon cables like these

They are the type that look more like a strip of plastic that fits into a slot like connector with a tiny plastic strip that seems to hold them in place.

Question is what to use to clean the connection and how best to do it. They seem so fragile and fiddley.

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Cotton buds with contact cleaner or IPA (not the beer type)

Reply to
charles

Many moons go, when working in computers, when we got contact problems we were advised to use Pepsodent toothpaste to clean them. The contacts were gold, after a while the gold disappeared, we were then told to stop using it. Now you know where the advert "You will know where the yellow went" originated!

Reply to
Broadback

Methylated spirits if IsoPropyl Alchohol isn't to hand.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd also suggest IPA, but perhaps on a small scrap of suede leather. Make sure you pull the leather in the right direction.

Another idea might be to use a pencil eraser - one of the soft plastic ones.

You used to be able to get speshul erasors for cleaning contacts; I have one but haven't seen them for years.

Go slow and gentle whatever you do; a couple of strokes max (!)

Reply to
jkn

You can use cleaners like "deoxit", but also a circuit board cleaning "rubber"[1] is often an easy way to clean those.

[1] A rubber block impregnated with a very fine abrasive - designed for cleaning copper clad circuit boards prior to layout and etching.

e.g.

John Rumm

Thanks all. Do I need to clean inside the socket as well as the cable? If so how do you do that?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

I hope not! I have no particular tips to offer if you have to do that ;-/

Thanks to John Rumm for reminding me of the 'Seno Rubber' name

Reply to
jkn

No, just the cable typically. Inserting and removing the flexi from the socket will tend to "wipe" its contacts anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Gold contacts seldom need cleaning and never with abrasive

Silver is another matter

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

doing that a few times is a better bet than one of those rubbers. Like the toothpaste it's an abrasive; it'll strip the gold off (if there is any!)

We were warned off them for that reason... sometime in the last millenium.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There is not usually gold on that type of flexi.

Use very gently certainly, but handy in cases of visible corrosion.

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you sure the tracks just close to the stiffener strip are not fractured? This is the normal failure mode. Anyone who has had a true Sinclair ZX computer can tell you all about that particular design issue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Also make sure the sockets are not full of debris from the cable. A give away that the cable is knackered, or almost. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Normally, simply removing and replacing will make a decent contact again. Unless obvious signs of corrosion like green gunge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it was: "You'll wonder where the yellow went". I remember because it was the first TV advert I ever saw.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I would guess there are not many who recall the ad... I only know the theme tune because I used to here people sing it when I was a kid, and at the time had no idea what it was about or where it come from!

Reply to
John Rumm