Soldering/brazing torch for (e.g.) 13kg propane cylinder

Is it possible to get a brazing/soldering torch that can be run off a standard propane cylinder that one uses for domestic cooking or barbecue or similar?

Apart from anything else it would mean that it's much easier to handle without the bulk and weight of a disposable gas bottle on the back of it. Presumably it would be cheaper to run as well.

I have standard 13kg propane cylinders both at home and on our boat so they're readily at hand.

I guess it might need a different regulator from the standard 15mBar ones used for cookers and barbecues.

Reply to
Chris Green

37mBar, not 15mBar, I just mis-remembered that.

It would appear that what I need is a 27mm clip-on adapter for the gas bottle(s) and then a regulator + torch. It surprises me that there aren't any complete kits available, it's such an obvious thing to do.

... or am I missing something very obvious?

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes. You can get kits that include a variety of burner sizes and also soldering iron heads (handy for soldering up zinc box gutters etc)

Yup, many plumbers used to carry a torch and hose connected to a (typically) 4.5kg bottle.

The same regulator will normally do fine. (many torch sets will come with one anyway)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I have one. Doesn't work in a confined space like down a hole in a concrete slab tho, because the standard oxy acetylene set supplies the oxygen as well as the flammable gas so works better in that situation.

Yep, no rental on the cylinders.

Nope, mine works fine without anything special regulator wise.

Reply to
Jock

Mine doesn't.

Mine was that. Primus brand. 50 odd years old tho.

Nope, just that it doesn't work in say a hole in the concrete slab with say a cut off copper pipe down that hole.

Reply to
Jock

+1.

I have something very like this

(sorry about the awful URL, just search eBay for propane gas torch kit) which IIRC came from Toolstation in a nice metal box. As you can see, this has the standard left hand thread connection, my barbecue cylinder also services the gas torch and a "knife-making" furnace.

Also several on Amazon.

Reply to
newshound

I've used them for, literally, decades, although I use the 4.5kg bottle for portability. I bought my last one as a kit at the same ironmongers that I got the gas cylinder from. Much more flexible than the integral cylinder ones. I have nozzles from needle point, very good for fine soldering, to 50mm, great for paint striping outdoors or for heating lumps of iron for case hardening

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Well what you have linked to below has its own regulator, very much

*not* the same regulator. The regulators for blow lamps all seem to be 0.5 to 4 Bar (that's a *lot* more than 37mBar).

Yes, thanks for the link. However this brings me back to the original basic question, how do I connect that to my 27mm clip-on connector on the gas bottle.

As I said I presume I need a 27mm clip-on adapter but they all seem to have a male screw connector and all the blow torches (like the one above) that I have seen are also male and I'm not eve sure they're the same size.

The issue is how to get the regulator that comes with a kit like the above one to connect, via a clip-on adapter, to the gas bottle.

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks, so in principle it's fine. My only issue is how to connect the hose/regulator that comes with the blow torch to my gas bottle with its 27mm clip-on connector.

What make is your blow torch, I'd like to have a similar choice of nozzles?

Reply to
Chris Green

There is no regulator with my primus system, with the camping gas stove or the torch or soldering iron,

Reply to
Jock

I'm fairly sure it was made by Calor, although it only came with the one nozzle (12mm?). The others I had to buy separately, also from the same ironmonger, now gone with a bookshop in its place.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

They ones they sell in Wickes tend to be more for roofers, than plumbers, but

Andy Burns

Yes, but.............

As I keep repeating (or so I thought) my issue is how to connect anything like the above to my gas cylinder which has a 27mm clip-on connector.

I can find 27mm clip on adapters but they have a male threaded connection and I'm not clear how to connect the above blowtorch's regulator to that.

It's the interconnections that are the main reason behind my question.

Reply to
Chris Green

Do a google search for "Sievert propane torch"

Sievert do a wide range of interchangeable burners

Reply to
David

Sorry, my cylinders have 'traditional' screw thread, aren't the clip-on ones mainly intended for patio heaters and BBQs?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Coming late to this, but surely just take the pipe off the 'wrong' one & put it on a 'right' one.

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

No.

My cylinders need a 27mm clip-on connector. There's no way to screw anything on to this, you can only use a clip-on connector.

However it's easy to find 'clip-on adapters' which provide a *male* threaded screw on connection to the gas cylinder.

My problem is what do I need to connect the blowtorch's regulator (they all seem to have male threads) to the adapter which also has a male thread. I'm not even sure whether they're the same thread as very few places seem to specify such things.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think I have finally worked it out, I need:-

27mm clip-on adapter (this has a male, 21.8mm LH thread connector)

A 21.8mm LH thread to POL adapter (two female connectors)

A standard blowtorch with regulator that will fit a POL connector

This is the link I finally found that shows what I wanted:-

I can get the separate bits somewhat cheaper elsewhere (e.g. BES or Hamilton Gas).

Reply to
Chris Green

You are combining John's comment with my link

Google gives dozens of adapters for clip-on bottles, both propane and butane, both with and without regulators.

John and I were pointing out that a wide range of torches were readily available. I have a fully adjustable regulator on my (standard screw) bottle, I don't normally need to tweak it when moving from torch to oven to barbecue.

While crimped clamps are preferred for connecting hose to spigots, in practice jubilee clips will work fine too.

Reply to
newshound

Well actually you did not even mention that in your first post :-)

Perhaps something like:

would do what you need? Bottle with clip on connection direct to blowtorch hose.

Reply to
John Rumm