Brazing torch fittings

I have one of these:

Probably 1980s, the packaging says Campingaz and it's for butane/propane mix. The rubber hose looks in good condition, I have no idea what the insides are like. However the regulator part on the end is missing, it terminates in what appears to be a regular half inch screw end like a washing machine hose (the brass piece in the picture). The end of the pipe inside the brass screw has a rubber dome on it.

If I wanted to bring this into use, what would I need to attach it to a gas bottle? I don't intend to do much with it, so a 400g cylinder would be fine.

Or am I likely to flambe myself?

thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

I don't think there's anything missing. The bit you showed screws straight into the top of a CampingGaz cylinder, and the device runs at cylinder pressure, without a regulator. May possibly be a left-hand thread - can't remember.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Car Boot sale buy? ;-)

Reply to
jkn

Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote

There is no regulator with those.

It screws directly onto the small gas bottles.

Nope, works fine.

Reply to
Jock

Perhaps important to point out that is the refillable cylinders, not the small disposable ones. I think you may be right that it is a left hand thread, but ICBA to walk down to my garage at the bottom of the garden, where I have a Camping Gaz emergency light on a cylinder, to check.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Pictures seem to me to show a RH thread, and fitting looks very like that on my CampingGaz *butane* (blue) refillable cylinder that I use with a "cooking" ring. It's also a RH fitting on the smaller propane cylinders.

Reply to
newshound

It's not proper gas hose though, is it. Intended for petrol or diesel. Real gas hose has a date on it and you are supposed to replace it regularly. (That said, I only changed my 70's hose about ten years ago).

Reply to
newshound

Wrong.

Mine doesn't.

Nope. Essentially because it isn't under pressure for long, just while you are using the gas torch.

I have never changed my 60's hose and it is as good as new.

Reply to
Jock

I would rather not use a refillable cylinder, because this is this device's first outing in 40 years. I have just finished the 190g C206 cylinder on the camping stove that was bought during the power cut in the Great Storm of '87, the old one is datemarked 1986. I am not a big user of gas :-)

Is there a way to adapt it to a small cylinder? Either the stove kind or the plumber's torch kind?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Shed find. It's like car boot without the money :-)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

As others have said, it is designed to screw direct to a Camping Gaz cylinder such as the 907, which are a very expensive way to by gas.

The good news is, the ?nut? which is on the end of the hose is a standard

21.4 ?Butane? thread and will fit a number of other adaptors.

You can by a range of clip on ( most clip on) fittings for the various

21mm, 27mm etc cylinders around. Or a UK propane POL (male) to Butane thread (male) adaptor. You don?t need a regulator.

I have a similar torch BTW. It works fine with Butane or Propane.

I?d at least check the hose, if not replace it.

Reply to
Brian

You could try and rig up and adaptor to the cheap 220g cylinders that are as common as cat muck these days. They look like large lighter fuel refills. You can buy a range of fittings which connect to the cylinders. You could probably find one on EBay which will fit you hose.

The cylinders can be found for as little as 50p although £1 is more common. I have a small picnic stove and portable BBQ that uses them.

Reply to
Brian

Useful tip, I have a tray full of new cylinders left over after the stove that used them died.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks. Searching around based on some of those I came across:

is very useful.

Measuring the female end of the hose, it's 19.5 or maybe 19.7mm diameter inside the threads. Looking at the entries for France (French is the first language on the packaging), they use:

EU-Shell (G.8) - 21.8mm Gaz (G.3) - 16.7mm Quick coupling 20 mm (G.52) Quick coupling 21.7 mm threaded (G.57) Quick coupling 27 mm (G.59) Quick coupling 35 mm Jumbo (G.56) Quick Coupling Fork Lift (G.66) Quick Coupling Fork Lift Bayonet (G.65) Shell-F (G.2) - 21.7mm (all different thread pitches)

So could it be a 20mm thread rather than a 21.7 or 21.8? Or is that right for a 21.7 which is measured from the outer edge of the (female) threads?

It seems like the disposable cans use 7/16" UNEF (about 11.1mm). So I suppose I need an adapter to that. Plus a tap, unless the cans are self-sealing?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If you mean the ?shell? of the bit on the end of the hose that screws onto the bit which goes onto the Camping Gaz bottle, it is 21.8

In France, quite a few cylinders have 21.8 male threads.

Here, Calor pushed the clip on 21mm regulator for Butane

21.8 has remained common ?a step away? from the cylinder top. So, for example, the French Le Cube was a 27mm clip on spigot and you get a regulator with your first cylinder and it generally has a 21.8 mm thread to go to a hose adapter. You can also use a ?clip? which isn?t a regulator but is just a way to connect to the cylinder. I use one, with a 21.8 thread which accepts the rear of a POL (propane) female adaptor. The Le Cube then looks like a standard, UK, propane cylinder.

( I researched the various cylinders etc used in Europe as we travel in a motorhome. We carry two gas cylinders. When in Europe, I generally take a Calor but use a French Le Cube which I can exchange in France. Calor is UK only. Although, at the moment, the 6kg ones are as rare as rocking house poo.)

BTW, avoid fork lift gas fittings / cylinders - at least unless for the correct application. ?Ordinary? fittings and cylinders are designed for vapour take off. Liquid LPG sits in the bottom of the cylinder, boils off, the vapour is piped out to be used. Fork lifts take liquid out. If liquid LPG meets a flame ?..

Reply to
Brian

Thanks. I found it quite difficult to find a suitable adapter from EN417 or CGA600 to 21.8 male, possibly because the 'small' camping stove/blowtorch and 'large' BBQ/motorhome worlds don't seem to mix. The Campingaz cylinders have female threads, which means I can't just screw to the bottle direct.

I think I tracked the part down to this:

is just a tap that sits on top of the 904 or 907 bottle, using the full gas pressure, rather than regulating it. The picture shows the brass 'washing machine' connector screwing onto it, and the packaging says it works for Campingaz CHALUGAS Profil and CHALUTORCH Profil.

On sale at a somewhat dubious looking Spanish website:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

  • £6.99 postage from Spain