Bernzomatic Brazing Torch

Does anyone have any experience of these torches? They burn a mix of oxygen and propane so should produce a fair bit of heat. They're currently available in B&Q for about £45 which seems quite reasonable unless of course they're no good. Nick.

Reply to
Nick Lockett

I use a Bernzomatic torch for soldering pipework. It works just fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually, no I don't. Mine uses air, not an oxygen bottle.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Nick,

I bought one of these a few years ago. It has sat in my garage gathering dust for ages because:

There are no proper regulators, and the taps supplied for each bottle are vague for controlling gas supply. Because of above point you have to keep adjusting the taps as the bottle runs down to compensate for the reducing pressure to keep the torch flame the same. The stated 15 minutes (or whatever) runtime from the oxygen bottle is a "at best figure", I found when using this kit to braze an exhaust manifold it was closer to 5 minutes. The price of the oxygen cylinders for the run time is a joke - I think they are about £5 a time. The cylinders weigh virtually nothing even when new because they ship them with such a small quantity if oxygen. Check the quantity label of the replacement oxygen cylinder compared to the fuel one.... The "Mapp" gaz is better than the supplied stuff, but the small oxygen quantity lets the whole cost of running down.

So, since I've bought a "portaflame" kit, with a massive oxygen cylinder in comparison, which costs about £15 to refill - and runs for about 3-4 hours continuously. It has a proper regulator on the oxygen cylinder, but none on the mapp gas cylinder (still small disposible type) and a proper torch. This has been soooooo much better and is a tool which works properly and is cost-effective to run, without having to go down the oxy-acyletene route. I've added a cutting torch to it since and it's great.

So, I have a second-hand Benzomatic kit if you want it.....

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll forget about Bernzomatic and look at the alternatives including Portaflame. Nick.

Reply to
Nick Lockett