patio slabs that won't stick down again.

hi, on our patio outside we have hexagonal six sided red concrete slabs laid down. since we have been in this house about ten years the mortar between the joints of the slabs seems to have shrunk and now bits of plant and weed are growing in the cracks. i have tried rubbing in a bit of cement mix obtainable from the local B&Q hardware store.... but how to do this without it smearing all over the edges of the slabs and everything looking like a dogs dinner i have yet to (hopefully) be advised on.

problem No 2 with these slabs and the 'real headache' is the fact that on the edge of the patio leading towards the rest of the garden the slabs are cut in half and have an 'over- hang' of about an inch or so. many of these slabs have come 'unstuck' and the overhang is just enough to tilt the slabs, if anyone steps on the edge. i have tried several times to stick them down with the readymix cement from B&Q, but they are just not staying stuck down.

any advice i would be grateful for....thanks

yours john west

Reply to
john west++++

I'd rake it all out to a decent depth and re-fill it with a sloppy mortar mix and a pointy trowel.

And this one I'd probably use Gripfill on! Brush away any loose bits and dust and squirt loads of lovely Gripfil under it. That'll cure the bugger!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Or you could rake and then sweep in a dry sand and cement mix whcih you "water in" after. This makes keeping it off the slabs quite easy.

If it was me, I would take a large angle grinder with diamond disc and cut the edge off the slabs and get rid of the overhang!

Reply to
John Rumm

My mum has some glue from the builders merchant for sticking bricks together. its a two part stuff, you spead it on thinly, and it works just fine. Ifs for people who want to build the lazy way. Works great for jobs like this, assuming the stuff you are sticking to is solid.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper